Applied Underwriters - Crappiest place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Applied Underwriters

"Crappiest place to work"

Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Foster City, CA
Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Foster City, CA

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay - I was making 6 figures with only 19 months of work experience. Good co-workers. Location is convenient.

Great learning experience - Applied Underwriters provided me the worst manager, the worst employer, and the worst leadership I've seen in my career - this has helped me see the silver lining in all my subsequent work experiences.

Cons

Horrible benefits and very few days off.

Micromanagement.
You have to clock out for lunch (as an exempt worker) and my manager berated me for putting in 7.95 hrs one day despite having 50 hrs on the clock that week. I had dinner with my family only on weekends during my entire employment there. Entrenched management, not interested in better or more clever solutions.

They monitor not only your lunch, but also your work habits and anything you do. Churn is very high - you're treated like a number. I wish I'd seen the writing on the wall sooner and quit like two of my coworkers had.

If you're a high achiever, they will recruit you with $$$, then treat you like a drone unless you get hired into management.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Applied may have 1 star on Yelp, but there's still 2 stars here so you have some work to do. You need to disenchant employees and customers equally.

Other Employee Reviews for Applied Underwriters

"Nice Place to Work (It takes the right person)"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Omaha, NE

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Salary with good benefits. The people are great.

Cons

Technology is lacking, but it seems to be headed in the right direction.

"This company will ruin your career. Stay away! Stay far away!"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Applied Underwriters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Good pay but only for the right employees. If you excelled in high school politics, you can excel here because you don’t have to do anything here except please the right people.

Cons

Entrenched, stubborn, emotionally immature and vindictive management. No growth, or very limited growth, unless you befriend the right people, whether or not you like them and whether or not you have any potential. You have to be a yes man, or woman, and not question management. Your individual thoughts and ideas are not welcomed unless you are one of the chosen ones. (One who has befriended someone in management, sleeping with someone in management or has the political savvy of Bill Clinton.) If you have good ideas, they will be shunned only to be resurrected by one of the chosen ones. You are nitpicked and monitored to the point of absurdity and insanity. Many procedures are meaningless, time consuming, overly complicated and frustrating and appear to remain in place for the sole purpose of not shedding light on the poor decision making skills of the manager who implemented the process in the first place.

Advice to Management

There really isn't anything to say except to start over.