Apttus - Opportunity of a Lifetime | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Apttus

"Opportunity of a Lifetime"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Apttus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay.
They take care of their employees and interns.
Strong team mentality, and we have fun at work.
Management is right there in the trenches with us, and gives us opportunities to grow. They are straight shooters and give immediate feedback. They want us to grow personally and professionally.
I get to work on projects across the company, and have a meaningful impact.
Flexible work hours.
Optional team building excursions like the ski bus or the giants game, every month.
I get to work with intelligent and energetic people daily.
Never know what to expect, except that it will be challenging and exciting.
Travel opportunities.
Right off the 101 and 92.

Cons

Long commute for me, but I get to work from home as needed.
Should have more space for people at HQ, but they are working on that.
We need more people, sales keep coming in.
This is not the place for people who simply want to show up and collect a paycheck. (not a con in my book)

Advice to Management

Be selective with hiring, only bring in the A players. That will reduce turnover and keep the team tight.

Other Employee Reviews for Apttus

1. "Business Development Representative"

I have been working at Apttus full-time

Pros

It's great to have the opportunity to work for a company that is not only a leader in the space but has great vision. There is a lot to learn at Apttus and a lot of money to be made. I love the constant SPIFFS and the ability to learn about different department roles. Great opportunity to be apart of a company pre-IPO. The weekly massages aren't to shabby either.

Cons

Nothing that stands out to me.

Advice to Management

Structure in the BDR role is not a bad thing. Keep it up.

Apttus Response

Jun 6, 2017 – Apttus HR

Thanks for sharing your excitement to be at Apttus! Driving success in our customer's business, while also supporting our people's career development is what makes Apttus a unique place. I'm glad you ... More

"Missed Opportunity"

I worked at Apttus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I waited a bit after I left to write this review to get some perspective on my experience. Waiting let me raise this review from 1-star to 2-star.

The main thing I enjoyed about Apttus was my coworkers. My primary interactions were with Product, Engineering, and Services. There a lot of good people with real potential in these teams that put in a lot of time to meet the demands placed on them. Many of them have moved on at this point but I still keep in touch with most of them and hope to work with them in the future.

More strategically, Quote-to-Cash is a huge potential market and Apttus is one of the few companies looking to address it. The platform agnostic approach is a good one if it can be executed upon (more on these points below)

Cons

Where to begin...

Execution and discipline is a major weakness. The general product methodology seems to be to build a bunch of demo's for a wide variety of products, agree to everything the customer asks for, then proceed to under-invest in the Product and Engineering teams that need to build the product to meet whatever commits Sales has promised. To complete the dysfunction trifecta, Services is then expected to close the remaining gaps, often against a grossly under-estimated SOW. There isn't enough room to list all the issues with that approach but it is safe to say this is not a road that leads to happy customers or repeatable success.

A similar but separate issue is the lack of focus. Too much time and far too many resources have been spent chasing questionable revenue streams. In my time at Apttus, I watched multiple products suddenly be introduced to the product mix because a single potential customer was possibly interested. The end result is a loss of focus on a single consistent, achievable strategy that, in turn, leads to delivery resources being spread too thin and customer facing teams that aren't equipped with knowledge about all of the products the company sells. Not acceptable for a company this size and a possible case study to illustrate how chasing top line revenue at any cost is a bad long term strategy.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, is the culture. Don't let some of the reviews fool you. This is a toxic environment. Aside from the rampant cronyism and nepotism, the general attitude seems to be to pretend that nothing is wrong and avoid addressing any of the underlying issues. Rather than telling stories about my experience with this culture, I'll point to the reviews on this site. Negative reviews are, by far, the most upvoted reviews (by an order of magnitude). Conversely, positive reviews rarely have any upvotes but get lots of responses from the company. Isn't that interesting? You'd almost think lots of people are unhappy but the company is choosing to ignore those "sour grapes" to pat themselves on the back. I'm sure that'll fix the issue...

Advice to Management

I can't be any more direct than this: You are the problem. Everything flows from the top down. You are the reason talented people struggle to deliver then burn out in a year and leave. The inability to choose a single strategy and execute, the loss to Steelbrick (and don't kid yourself, the Salesforce purchase is a crushing loss), the persistent talent flight. All of that stems from you.

It's time to stop patting yourselves on the back and talking about how well things are going while the ship is taking on water. If you want to be successful, it's time to do some serious soul-searching and recognize that you are in way over your heads. Pick a strategy, develop a plan based in reality, then execute on it. Identify your high performers and give them the authority and autonomy to deliver. Promote based on merit, not favoritism. This is stuff is Business 101 yet it isn't happening and both the company and your employees are suffering for it.

If you can't do that, hire people who can then step back and let those people run things.

Apttus Response

Jun 12, 2017 – Apttus HR

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. I’m sorry to hear that Apttus was no longer a fit for you. Similar to many other start-ups that have increased in size so quickly, Apttus has ... More