Aramark - Bartender worked at Aramark catered sports arena. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Aramark

"Bartender worked at Aramark catered sports arena."

Current Employee - Bartender in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Bartender in Austin, TX

I have been working at Aramark part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Didn't have to stay out too late for a bartending gig. Usually home before 12pm-1am.
+ Not a lot of silly extra chores you need to do at most places. You go in, set up, work, clean, count your money, and go home.
+ When events are crowded the tips are very good. You can easily break $40/hr.
+ Employees work as a team most of the time, people help each other get the job done.
+ Pick the shifts you work.

Cons

- Since most of your co-workers are part-time/seasonal, a non-negligible amount of your co-workers will be taking their job very lightly. This can become frustrating when you are relying on having those folks there to help you.
- The supervisors try to respect your time, but sometimes at slow events you'll be kept on for the entire event and only make a couple bucks in tips.
- The high-earning bars are always monopolized by more senior employees. It is very hard to get shifts in the best locations as a newer employee.

Advice to Management

Don't allow lazy employees to hold better shifts hostage. It makes the responsible, loyal employees feel naive for respecting their company.

On a couple of occasions I was bumped down to a lower-earning bar, but not until I showed up for my shift. I was always told that it was becasue "we want to try 'x' person at a new bar" or "the folks at 'y' bar really like you and you do the best job there", but in actuality, it was because someone who had a worse shift than me was refusing to take it at the last moment. Or because someone called out and they couldn't get someone to fill the "call-outs" spot, so they would give them mine and bump me down when I had arrived.

I liked all my managers and I didn't want to let them down, so I would suck it up and take the lesser shifts. After this happened twice I spoke about it to my supervisors/managers. Even though they didn't really acknowledge why it was happening, they never did it to me again. All I really needed to do was express my discontent and it made a difference, which is a sign of considerate and thoughtful management, but I don't think it should have been an issue in the first place.

However, in all fairness, the supervisors/managers might have been responding to the requests of more senior bartenders to work with different personel. I never got the feeling like the more senior bartenders didn't want to work with me, but I may have just missed the signs.

Other Employee Reviews for Aramark

1. "Looking for the best for less."

Current Employee - Catering in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Catering in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Aramark full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hard working employees that really care about the jobs they have obtained.

Cons

Those who seem not to care about their positions are left alone,with no consequences while those who care are left to pick up their slack. Supervisors allow substandard performance to go on as long as there is no backlash from their superiors.

Advice to Management

Adhere to the standards you've set, for your customers as well as employees.

2. "Great experience!"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Aramark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the work is definitely not the most riveting or rewarding, but hard work has paid off as far as job titles go. I have never had the same position semester-to-semester, but a majority of my coworkers have maintained theirs.

Cons

The management always seems scattered and to get anything done you really have to jump through hoops. Every dollar spent is expected to retain two back so very stingy is the best way to put it. All of the goals revolve around earnings and never really look to satisfy the customers.

Advice to Management

Look to satisfy customers needs more.