Aramark - Good to travel and figure out what your passion is, poor for long term career growth. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Aramark

"Good to travel and figure out what your passion is, poor for long term career growth."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

You can really move around if you want - there are multiple lines of business (uniforms, education, higher education, business services, sports and entertainment, facilities services and more) in many areas and even countries. You could even work at the Olympics. If you are not sure what your passion is there is a great chance to try out many things.

Cons

There is never enough staff or money to do anything well, so your always close to budget and working long hours and working hard. There is a poor work life balance if you don't draw a firm line.

Advice to Management

Stop going public / private and just stay private! Also, let each line of business manage its own money so it can re-invest its profits and grow - instead of handing the money to the lines of business doing poorly hurting the good LOBs and not forcing the mis-managed LOBs to do better or fail (we're large enough we can trim some stuff if it's always a money sink hole).

Other Employee Reviews for Aramark

1. "Run fro the hills"

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Downers Grove, IL

Pros

Aramark has the potential to be a good employer, if your someone who feels they would be a good manager, there is propbably no better place to learn the ropes. Expect long hours, low pay disdain from upper managment who believe that as long as they call you a manager you'l be happy.

Cons

My experience was based on an acquisition. Being on the wrong end of the deal was very difficult. Aramark only acknowledges the experiences of it's own hand picked people from Philadelphia and holds the experiences of highly qualified people which were aquired in disdain.

Advice to Management

We have smart people in Downers Grove too.

"Micro-Manage Me Please"

Pros

You get great employee discounts.

Cons

The corporate structure that requires many levels of "approval" make it challenging to make decisions or changes on a local level. In my division there are as many managers as their are front line employees. This creates a situation where managers spend most of their time micro-managing employees to justify their roles as managers. The micro-managing discourages employees from thinking on their own.

Another disadvantage is that in order to advance within ARAMARK, you must follow a pre-set career path within the company. As an individual with more education and professional experience than those who manage him, I am frustrated. Since I hired in at a position that was below my skill level, I would have to wait several years to get back to the same career level that I was at before taking this position. During the interview process, professional growth and advancement was stressed as being an enormous opportunity. Due to this "opportunity" I was willing to take a position below my skill and pay level due to the "opportunity" for advancement. Now that I have been with the company for about 6 months, I am aware of the fact that it would take years to get back to the same level that I was at with my previous employer. This is very disheartening. I took a paycut in order to have the ARAMARK "opportunity" to advance. I'm not going to wait several years just to move into a mid level management position. I regret my decision to join ARAMARK for this very reason. I will be leaving within a year.

Advice to Management

The ratio of mid level managers to those they manage should be re-evaluated. To have a manager for every 2 to 3 employees is a bit much. You should hire employees with talent and drive who do not need to be micro-managed by numerous layers of managers.