Arapahoe County - Solid government employer | Glassdoor

"Solid government employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO

Pros

I felt secure at Arapahoe County even during the rounds of layoffs. I trusted my supervisor and manager to keep me in the loop, and they did. My supervisor and manager were both excellent - very supportive, gave positive feedback about my job performance, and were very gracious when I needed to take time off due to a death in my family. I also really liked being able to work a flex schedule (4 days per week) and we had good health care coverage. Overall, I felt this was a positive place to work.

Cons

The downside to working for Arapahoe County is that although I had a secure job, the pay scale was so poor that I had about $15 left at the end of the month. Of course, this was somewhat offset by my supervisor allowing me to work a flex schedule (four 10-hour shifts per week). The other downside was that I didn't think our payroll department was very professional -- not only did we only get paid once per month, but payroll botched our last direct deposit of 2008. I don't know how I managed to avoid bouncing checks. It was a nightmare.

Advice to Management

I am not sure why executive management is having the lower-level employees do the strategic planning for the company, but if the executives aren't doing the legwork on strategic planning, then my question remains...what is management doing?

Other Employee Reviews for Arapahoe County

"Information Technology Organization Growth Opportunity"

Current Employee - Applications Supervisor in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Applications Supervisor in Littleton, CO

Pros

Great place for novice and senior workers - equal opportunity for all if required skills evident. Employees help each other in accomplishing work efforts. Structured employee evaluation process; employees provide own input to ensure consideration of sometimes forgotten "small efforts with big impact." Flexible work schedules in some departments depending on customer (citizen) facing operations. "Out of the box" creativity rewarded. Communication to all employees through a number of methods: quarterly recap to managers and supervisors; monthly employee newsletter; email covering time specific topics.

Cons

Government - very limited in ability to recognize performance with representative pay levels; salary generally based on time in grade.

Advice to Management

Utilize the experience and knowledge of new hires to evaluate and improve existing department structure, procedures, and employee recognition; step back and let others do what they are good at. Don't say "your input is valued," and then qualify it.

2. "Great for me!"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Arapahoe County as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home. Great Flexibility. Non-stress full. Interesting.

Cons

Never knew what the workload was until it arrived in the mail.