ArcelorMittal USA - Hollywood couldn't better portray a more toxic culture. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ArcelorMittal USA

"Hollywood couldn't better portray a more toxic culture."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Burns Harbor, IN
Current Employee - Business Analyst in Burns Harbor, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most people are genuine and do care for others. You also learn a lot about the steel industry.

Cons

*There is little to no room for advancement within the company, HR will tell you differently during the recruiting process (please note: they will blatantly lie about everything of importance during the recruiting process).
*There's an exceptionally high turnover rate especially among young people due to the culture, work/life balance,etc. Most leave within 2 years.
*Engineering receives final word on everything so tension is high and the efficiency of the material through the pipeline is poor, very poor
*Equipment is very old and resources are scarce so no improvements have been or will be made
*The oldest technology and methods I've ever seen, union environment so positive change is thwarted
*Never able to accomplish anything due to bureaucracy and others circumventing implementation because they're fearful of change and/or someone else receiving praise
*Seniority rules the day so old, obsolete methods also rule, more credibility is received as you're there longer (other manufacturing companies encourage new perspectives and company changes every 2-4 years for this very reason (new outlooks))
*Legacy steel companies which were once rivals have all been merged so conflict is rampant
*Old-boy network based on legacy company is also rampant, everyone else is immediately an outsider
*Have lost money in 4 consecutive quarters

Advice to Management

I don't envy those who have to guide the direction of this sinking ship (down).

Other Employee Reviews for ArcelorMittal USA

1. "Challenging, rewarding, humbling"

Current Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work some of the industry top professionals. Excellent work ethic in my department. Ability to move around the company, even across the globe.

Cons

Very large company. Salaries could be more competitive. Corporate bureaucracy seems to hamper process and departmental effectiveness.

Advice to Management

Give up the vacations, bonuses and salaries to keep talented people in-house. We seem to lose a lot of hard workers due to competition in the market.

2. "It was a very filling experience, the amount of metallurgy you can learn while being a part of it is amazing!!!"

Current Intern - Associate Engineer in East Chicago, IN
    Current Intern - Associate Engineer in East Chicago, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting to work with engineers who have years and years of experience and show you the way forward.
    Great equipment for research.
    Just one great place to be.

Cons

Could the pay for an intern be 5$ higher for the hourly rate?
    I dont know, not my serious complaint because working at AM is simply amazing.