ArenaNet - Very satisfying | Glassdoor

"Very satisfying"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at ArenaNet as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working at ArenaNet as a contract worker for less than a year

-Great culture

-Some of the friendliest people I've ever had the pleasure to work with

-Free snacks

-Great work/life balance

-I REALLY appreciate the fact that ArenaNet seem to close the gap between contract and FTE quite a bit compared to other places I've worked.

Cons

There are two main issues I have:

-Considering the workflow at ArenaNet, I'm not entirely sure why they still have contract QA positions. ArenaNet, with its releases every two weeks, always have work to be doing. Why send employees packing?

-A number of reviews mentioned that the wage is lower than the rest of the industry. With that in mind, having to pay to park on-site was a bit of a bummer.

-The new hire training is a little dodgy at the moment. While it sounds like it's improved A LOT from the way it was previously, it is still a quite a bit of sink-or-swim type of process. On top of that, the way documentation was done previously seemed to not be standardized and this led to a lot of information being passed around as tribal knowledge.

Advice to Management

-If the budget permits, I'd like to see less contract positions.

-Better documentation standardization

-More comprehensive training

Other Employee Reviews for ArenaNet

1. "A+"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at ArenaNet as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is great. I've only ever worked OT by my own decision, and it was only a handful of times. It isn't the "crunch hell" that you would expect, even when we are pumping out 2 week releases.

Contract employees are treated very well relative to other employers. Any special perks or presents of fun events are always very open to contract people.

Cons

There's quite a bit of tribal knowledge here, so being new is hard. Once you are past being "new" though, it is very rewarding.

"It's not all fun and games...well actually, it is all fun and games."

Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at ArenaNet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best place I've worked for. Smart people, inspiring leaders and a great product. It challenges me while inspiring me to do better.

Cons

Too many free snacks, cereal, candy, donuts, pizza and drinks...I've gained 5 lbs since I started and although we have a free healthclub on site I'm usually too busy in the gameroom to make it there. Also, everyone is just too nice...especially those 2 at the front desk...they must be up to something.

Advice to Management

If your goal was to create a great place to work with a bunch of smart people...you done good.