ArenaNet - Great people struggling together to make an amazing product | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ArenaNet

"Great people struggling together to make an amazing product"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Bellevue, WA
Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at ArenaNet as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazing coworkers
- Respectful environment, contractors treated like people
- Great project
- Decent mobility between departments
- Gym available
- Free snacks

Cons

- Mediocre compensation
- Poor documentation and an over reliance on tribal knowledge
- Heavy use of contractors and thus continuous losses of precious tribal knowledge
- Constant state of priority shift that's disruptive to productivity
- Too many nearly-complete projects get abandoned and never returned to
- Hiring needs are not well planned, and many hires are made out of emergency necessity rather than for long term benefit
- Talent drain, there's a steady trickle of great people being lured away to other companies that offer competitive compensation

Advice to Management

Plan your goals early enough to allow for quality hires / promotions, and then work to keep talent within the company. Allow teams to complete the goals you set for them before shifting them to something else.

Other Employee Reviews for ArenaNet

"The Real McCoy"

Current Employee - Programmer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Programmer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at ArenaNet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I didn't know jobs like this existed until I landed at ArenaNet! I've programmed here for nearly 7 years and it continues to be my dream job.

-No crunch
    -Development is driven by passion not production milestones
    -Incredibly creative, laid-back and friendly work environment
    -Collaborative bottom-up development
    -Challenging problems to tackle.
    -Very flexible with work hours.
    -Egos are left at the door
    -Very clean and well organized code base with a strong code standard
    -Great studio with lots of great amenities(gym, snacks, drinks, game room, etc.)
    -Good benefits with profit sharing
    -Did I say no crunch?

Cons

Compared to everything I'm grateful for at ArenaNet my complaints feel pretty insignificant.

-Very little documentation and heavy reliance on tribal knowledge
    -High expectations and challenging tasks can lead to "sink or swim" work environment
    -Requires passion and self-motivation to be successful
    -Poor on-boarding process
    -Compensation could be more competitive.
    -Paid parking

Advice to Management

Focus on providing clear direction and expectations while creating better communication across the studio. Figure out how to get new employees up to speed and better integrated into our culture sooner.

2. "Simply a great company"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at ArenaNet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The video game industry is generally a mixed bag. ArenaNet manages to retain the good while avoiding most of the bad. There is a genuine concern about the welfare of the employees and work/life balance. The senior management works hard to be good managers. That means doing their jobs well so that crunch times, wasted effort, and band-aid development is kept to a minimum.

The people here are fantastic. In the short time I've been here, I've formed lots of great friendships. We are motivated, smart, creative people who want to build an awesome game. It's a pleasure to work here.

Cons

We seriously need healthier snack food before we all become diabetic. Also, there is really no where around here that one can walk to for lunch. However, we do have a lunch ordering service so you don't have to drive somewhere unless you want to.

Advice to Management

Not to sound like a sycophant, but I've worked at numerous companies over many years and I've never seen a company that is as well run as this one. We need to work on some issues, but management is mostly aware of them and trying to address them.