ArenaNet - Great for its size | Glassdoor

"Great for its size"

Current Employee - Artist in Bellevue, WA
Current Employee - Artist in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at ArenaNet full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I’ve been here for over 10 years now because I’ve experienced a lot of negatives at other game companies that don’t happen here, or happen to a lesser extent. The negative stuff I’ve read from others here are things that happen in any and every company with more than 40 employees. Here’s what I think are the pros at ArenaNet:

• No demands for overtime.
• Very creative, talented, and passionate coworkers.
• Management is very approachable and actually kind caring individuals. (the ones’ I’ve gotten to know)
• Room for growth and focus from management on individualized career improvement.
• Flexible work hours and understanding about work/life balance.
• Commitment to profit sharing (last bonus was 25 weeks of pay) The calculations are open and clear, but the timing is not consistent yet.
• Freedom to pursue good ideas. (I got to form a team and create content based on an idea I had.)
• Good communication between departments.
• The usual game company amenities such as free snacks, beverages, gym.

Cons

Most of the cons I’ve experienced much much worse elsewhere, and I think they exist everywhere I’ve worked and I have friends in virtually every game company in America and they all echo this fact. So understand that these are really minor annoyances, not game breakers.

• Experimentation with release cadence/style/type/team sizes and configurations, etc. Since Guild Wars 2 is subscription-free and relies on MTX, there’s been a lot experimenting to find out what model of content works best for this. So we’ve shifted gears so many times I’ve lost count. This may be a non-issue within the next couple months or year though.
• Over reliance on contractors. We spend a lot of time getting them up to speed, getting to know and like them, and then their contract is up.
• You have to pay $55 a month for parking.

Advice to Management

Find a way to hire our contractors full time.

Other Employee Reviews for ArenaNet

"Great work environment, but poor strategic alignment and focus."

Former Employee - Game Designer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Game Designer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at ArenaNet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are creative and desire collaboration, not a lot of needless red tape or superfluous process. Interest to do something different and great place to work with excellent craftsmen.

Cons

Very little hunger and need for excellence in some departments. Highly fragmented and craft oriented (as opposed to valuing good product creation). Disconnected with customers and players overall.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs a leadership team to divide the enormous task of getting the right values in place and aligning effort around the right goals. While cordial and intelligent, the company has a hard time aligning on the same objectives.

"Wonderful company, experience varies wildly depending on where you land."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at ArenaNet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay can be competitive depending on role
    Well stocked kitchen
    Fun game room
    Good PTO/holiday policy
    Lot of smart people work there

Cons

ArenaNet does not train people. That's an actual quote from upper management. You're left to flounder as a new employee and you will receive no feedback at all from your supervisor if you are not meeting his/her expectations.
    "Management" as it were, is lacking (absent). Since my first day at ArenaNet I never felt guided, instructed, developed or supported. It was a growing experience to be sure but as far as I can tell, management simply can't be bothered to support their team.
    As others have stated and as continues to be the case, this is very much a "sink or swim" company and they don't seem to care which it is. They don't care about your success because they don't work to further it, and they don't care if you fail because no one will ever step in to help you. You're utterly alone, have no misconceptions about this.

Advice to Management

You (management) exist for one sole purpose, and that is to enable your team. That's it- that's you're entire role in a nutshell. Anytime you're not working to enable and unblock your team, you're underperforming.
    Employee development is key to a successful company, and employees that are not developed will walk right out the front door with all their knowledge.
    Management need to actually *be* managers instead of simply shirking those duties they find unsuited to their sensibilities.