ArenaNet - Great people, bad upper management and very little opportunity for growth | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ArenaNet

"Great people, bad upper management and very little opportunity for growth"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at ArenaNet as a contractor

Pros

* Some of the most passionate and creative people in the industry
* Great work space and location
* Innovative in some aspects
* Free snacks
* Great game to work on
* Family-friendly
* Flexible hours for many

Cons

* HR is not great, but it's *sort of* improving. It is a big company, which means they don't spend time on individuals. If you become very sick or have a family emergency, don't expect any kind of sympathy whatsoever from the company. The ladies at the front desk are the only exception.
* Chocolate fountains and champagne != morale boost. Most of the morale building events feel like band-aids rather than actual solutions.
* Directors seem disconnected from the rest of the company and from the player base. Some more-so than others. They provide minimal guidance throughout the development process. They expect more, making you feel like you have to crunch but then once reviews come around they have no problem telling you to completely redo your work. This results in a lot of mandatory crunch.
* They say there's no crunch, but that is simply not true. The scope of this company is ridiculous. They stretch their employees too thin, and act surprised when the content that is being put into the game is buggy or undesired. There are too many teams and too many releases.
* The execution of the Agile environment has been poor. Most of the Producers do not provide enough guidance, and with overzealous developers this gets out of hand very quickly. We are individually expected to scope out our time, but with poor communication between teams it is hard to do this.
* Contract employees that are incredible and go above and beyond are not appreciated. Opportunity for full-time or fair pay is pretty much non-existent.
* Revolving door of employees. We've lost some of the best co-workers due to low wages and unwillingness to try to keep them.
* Upper management seems to only focus on metrics.
* Compensation is just horrible.

Advice to Management

This company is not what it once was. It needs better compensation. You guys hype the company up like it's the end-all be-all, but there's very little substance to this anymore. The bi-weekly cadence has been tried and failed. It is killing your business. We're maintaining, yes, but having a graph that spikes but goes back down again feels pointless.

Other Employee Reviews for ArenaNet

"Very satisfying"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at ArenaNet as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working at ArenaNet as a contract worker for less than a year

-Great culture

-Some of the friendliest people I've ever had the pleasure to work with

-Free snacks

-Great work/life balance

-I REALLY appreciate the fact that ArenaNet seem to close the gap between contract and FTE quite a bit compared to other places I've worked.

Cons

There are two main issues I have:

-Considering the workflow at ArenaNet, I'm not entirely sure why they still have contract QA positions. ArenaNet, with its releases every two weeks, always have work to be doing. Why send employees packing?

-A number of reviews mentioned that the wage is lower than the rest of the industry. With that in mind, having to pay to park on-site was a bit of a bummer.

-The new hire training is a little dodgy at the moment. While it sounds like it's improved A LOT from the way it was previously, it is still a quite a bit of sink-or-swim type of process. On top of that, the way documentation was done previously seemed to not be standardized and this led to a lot of information being passed around as tribal knowledge.

Advice to Management

-If the budget permits, I'd like to see less contract positions.

-Better documentation standardization

-More comprehensive training

2. "A+"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at ArenaNet as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is great. I've only ever worked OT by my own decision, and it was only a handful of times. It isn't the "crunch hell" that you would expect, even when we are pumping out 2 week releases.

Contract employees are treated very well relative to other employers. Any special perks or presents of fun events are always very open to contract people.

Cons

There's quite a bit of tribal knowledge here, so being new is hard. Once you are past being "new" though, it is very rewarding.