Argo Group - Buyer Beware | Glassdoor

"Buyer Beware"

Current Employee - Middle Management in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Argo Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company does a nice job of investing in employees' education. Nice office in downtown San Antonio. I am paid well for the work that I do.

Cons

Half of the company has a VP or Director title - 90% of those VPs and Directors seem to be in their position due to their duration with Argo rather than ability to perform at a high level. Many employees have been deceived about compensation. It, like so many other things at the company, seems to be a black hole As a manager, I cannot be straightforward with my direct reports because of information asymmetry (not sure if the lack of information on my side is because of intentional withholding or just lack of competence/caring by my superiors). The lack of competence likely starts with the CEO, but in my several years of service, I have never been able to approach him to have a meaningful conversation - he seems to be on a pedestal. I have been unimpressed with his poise and ability to think on his feet at conferences.

Continue reading
    Argo Group2015-03-05

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Denver, CO

I have been working at Argo Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Compensation and benefits are above average. Work environment is very collaborative and the company offers a lot of opportunities for professional development. Work schedules are flexible and allow for some work to be done at home.

Cons

Smaller, specialty lines company so don't expect to get exposure to all types of coverage lines and all types of clientele.

Continue reading
    Argo Group2020-01-09

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Insurance Underwriter in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Argo Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture, Benefits, Management is improving

Cons

Compensation is below market rate

Argo Group2020-02-15

Discover more reviews about Argo Group.