Arizona State University - Research/Teaching Assistant | Glassdoor

"Research/Teaching Assistant"

Current Employee - Research/Teaching Assistant in Tempe, AZ
Current Employee - Research/Teaching Assistant in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Arizona State University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I think working in ASU is a quite good experience. The workload is reasonable. Many services are available.

Cons

First, the temperature is too high, especially in summer. Second, I would say the pay is not that good compared with other universities.

Other Employee Reviews for Arizona State University

"Room for improvement."

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Arizona State University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people I interacted with at ASU were kind and professional.

Cons

Many of those in management positions should go through training on how to be a Manager.

"Great colleagues, horrible administrators"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Arizona State University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working with many of my colleagues and we had great working relationships that were very supportive. It was neat to work on a college campus and I enjoyed working with the students. Tuition reimbursement is a nice perk...probably the only one. The medical benefits were initially good when I first started. My boss was supportive of me continuing my education.

Cons

The administration is a nightmare and many are downright demonic in their management tactics. There is a lot of bullying behavior that takes place. There is little to no professional development opportunities. No raises or cost of living adjustments. They expect a lot but do not reward exemplary performance. The cost of parking is outrageous. The benefits are not what they used to be, but they try to convince you that ASU has the best benefits package around. Trust me, you can do better else where. The HR department is a joke and useless. Ironically, they are the best paid employees on campus...I guess they look out for their own. As much as ASU touts their sustainability practices, they are very archaic in their views about telecommuting. If you are seeking a job that allows you to work from home occasionally, then ASU is not your place. They also do not offer flexible work schedules.

Advice to Management

Instead of catering to the faculty all of the time, be supportive of your staff. There are a lot of talented individuals at ASU who are burned out because of a lack of growth incentive and many are leaving for greener pastures. If you are unable to offer raises due to budget issues, then offer other incentives such as telecommuting or flexible work schedules.