Armor Express - Excellent place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Armor Express

"Excellent place to work"

Pros

Great product, saves lives. Fun work environment.

Cons

poor management structure. Needs better shift in manufacturing.

Advice to Management

Update systems to help in Manuf.

Other Employee Reviews for Armor Express

"Be realistic"

Former Employee - Ballistics in Central Lake, MI
    Former Employee - Ballistics in Central Lake, MI

I worked at Armor Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was an amazing job. Met lots of friends, learned things I never would have expected. The hours were great, got lots of overtime and benefits. Management was friendly and helpful. Plenty of room for cross training.

Cons

Really the only downside to this job was the pay. The overtime provided helped some, but I started out at $8 and at the time there was a freeze on all raises. $8 an hour is just not realistic pay for factory work. I make $3.50 more at my current job in retail. I loved this job and hated to leave but I really did not have a choice.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees up to par with the manufacturing market! Realistically most workers there should be paid at least $12 an hour, like all other manufacturing jobs in the area. There is a lot of turnover for that reason alone, but you have some great workers there and they deserve the pay for the job they are doing. $12 an hour to save lives seems reasonable to me.

2. "Poor Management"

Former Contractor - Prep in Central Lake, MI
    Former Contractor - Prep in Central Lake, MI

I worked at Armor Express as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are friendly and outgoing.
    The job is easy. There is a lot of pride in what you do with the company.
    The pay is decent. Fifty cent shift premium for second shift.

Cons

Pay is not enough to support yourself or a family.
    No room for advancement.
    Mindless work, but discouraged from socializing (to the point of termination)
    Not allowed to listen to music to help your production.
    Discouraged from using bathroom facilities when necessary.
    Does not offer a 401k.
    Hours are rough. Ten hour days, four days a week. First shift is 5:30am to 4pm and they usually working mandatory over time every weekend. Second shift is 3:30pm to 2am with no overtime and often little to no work. If there is extra work second shift isn't able to get overtime.
    Little to no vacation pay.
    Company does anything they can to get out of paying vacation time.
    Written up if you're sick and need to leave early.
    Won't get fired for leaving early or missing work but you will if you talk or leave your station more than they feel is appropriate, regardless of how good you are at your job.
    No compassion for family issues.
    If you miss a few hours in the week (for any reason, excused or not) and there is overtime you will be able to work the extra day but only until you make up the hours you missed and then you have to leave.
    This is a job, not a career.

But...I digress.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like the humans that they are. Allow for room to advance, with raises and bonuses. Pay your cutters and sewers more, ideally what they're worth. Don't be so strict on silly rules like talking and using the bathroom as long as employees are getting their jobs done. Having a cold is not a reason to go to the doctor, but it is a reason to stay home and rest. If you're going to threaten to fire people due to attendance, do it. Follow through and stop barking at people when you're in a nasty mood. This is why you can't hire people, the environment from management is tense and not a good place to thrive.