AroundCampus - Summer Internship | Glassdoor

"Summer Internship"

Current Intern - Outside Sales Representative
Current Intern - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're self-motivated it's a great job. Great for those who are interested and like selling. The week long training is great, and you get to learn a lot.

Cons

It is all cold calling and the product is not easily sold in most markets.
Long hours and days with little pay.
High expectations of sales goals
Very hard to stay motivated when hearing "no" all day.

Other Employee Reviews for AroundCampus

1. "Good Training, terrible job"

Pros

great sales training program
    gives you good experience

Cons

the job description is very vague and is listed as "marketing internship" which is misleading because its sales
    all cold calls- they hire college students desperate for experience to visit basically every business in the area to try to sell advertisements
    55+ hour weeks- the job basically becomes your life
    they expect too much out of student first-time sales reps
    they advertise the networking opportunities as one of their biggest draws but the corporate partners only will talk with top 100 sales reps

Advice to Management

ceo and upper management were good

"Horrible Experience-Even for Sales"

Pros

You get the opportunity to see a lot of businesses in your college community.
    If you know you want a career in sales, then this would probably be a good option for a summer internship.
    I realized what I don't want to do for a career.

Cons

This was the worst job I have ever had. The training did not prepare me whatsoever for the internship, and all they do is go on and on about how this is going to be the best summer job ever. The pay is horrible. I spent more on gas than what I made each week. The job description itself is fairly vague, and I had no idea of what I was actually doing until the first day of work. And the approach to selling is all wrong. They tell you to question the business owner and find out their needs, but they tell you to say the same thing to each owner, regardless of their specified needs. Also, the prices are ridiculously high for reaching such a narrow market. Most business owners will realize that this is a horrible way to actually reach the students and will (wisely) realize that this would be an utter waste of their money. I felt so sleazy the entire time I was trying to sell.

Advice to Management

Tell your interns what they will actually be doing, and set realistic goals. Selling is based on catering to the customer, not throwing them a memorized pitch that doesn't even relate to the business' needs.