AroundCampus - A Summer to Remember | Glassdoor

"A Summer to Remember"

Former Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Orlando, FL
Former Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot. You learn to be independent and to step outside of your comfort zone. You learn how to deal with people (clients) and how to be more professional. Training at North Carolina was a fun experience.

Cons

It was not for someone who is weak and easily breakable. you experience so much frustration in this job. actually, it would be an everyday thing.

Advice to Management

promote your product better to its users. the students don't even know what it is.

Other Employee Reviews for AroundCampus

"Great overall experience"

Current Intern - Sales Team Leader/Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Current Intern - Sales Team Leader/Sales in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

excellent training opportunities
    great team based structure and support
    younger regional management which makes them more approachable. (all have been through the internship)

Cons

most business owners aren't interested in student customers
    the pay is not great considering you have to drive all over Atlanta 5 days a week

"Good Entry-level Experience"

Former Intern - Inside Sales in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Intern - Inside Sales in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Hands-on work experience, friendly environment, managers/supervisors are very approachable and willing to offer advice. Contests in the sales department and pretty casual dress. Decent summer job, internship during college, or first "real-world" position.

Cons

For the inside sales department, some calls may be cold calls. Occasionally you'll encounter less-than-satisfied customers. Fair amount of rejections which you'll need to counter. The summer gets pretty hectic.

Advice to Management

The mobile app and coupons are great ideas, but as a college student who used the planner all 4 years I honestly had no idea until I began working at UD that these pages existed. Often while redeeming a coupon businesses remark that they don't receive many from customers. I've actually been thanked multiple times for redeeming the offer. I think the app and print coupons are theoretically sound, but the app is admittedly finicky, and the planner deals could be advertised better. I'd suggest 1) better visibility of the physical coupons (i.e. a starburst on the planner cover) and 2) emphasizing to clients their role in promoting the coupon via social media, etc.

Additionally, from working in ISD I'd really recommend reaching out to customers before inside sales resumes and an increasingly forward approach to touching base with clients. Many customers responded that my call about a sale was the first they'd heard from UD since renewing or signing a contract over the summer. Taking initiative and reaching out to customers, asking for feedback and offering to promote their deals prior to selling emphasizes that the advertisement is a relationship, not just a sale. Additionally, a few minutes over the course of a couple months would undoubtedly lead to more successful advertising. This would greatly help customer retention. Better client retention would in turn benefit summer sales, many of which came way too late creating artwork problems.