Arup - Slow advancement, below-average pay, but great project opportunities | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Arup

"Slow advancement, below-average pay, but great project opportunities"

Former Employee - Senior Structural Engineer
Former Employee - Senior Structural Engineer

I worked at Arup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great company to see the world from as there are opportunities to work on projects from New York to China and every where in between. Due to its many offices, its easy to request short and long-term transfers around the world to get the international experience that sets you apart in the job market. There is also room for sideways movement between disciplines due to large consultancy of Arup.

There is also a great sustainability drive in this company and your work and office strives to maintain that. Its a good atmosphere of smart and capable people all typically looking to do a greater good. Everyone seems to pull their own weight so micromanagement is unnecessary.

Cons

During my time with Arup, i saw that retention was an issue. As i left, I saw that finding engineers to accept jobs was an even bigger issue.

I was underpaid by over 20% and didn't realize it until i started searching for a new job. I regret staying as long as I did and loosing that money....the company wasn't worth it. Advancement seems to be at the whim of management and makes no sense when comparing John to Jane to Doe.

Advice to Management

its a competitive market and to get and keep good staff you have to deliver a better compensation package

Other Employee Reviews for Arup

1. "good"

Pros

good company to work for, very dynamic environement

Cons

not really anything that I'd have bad comments abt

"company has high ideals"

I have been working at Arup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Retirement, Healthcare is inexpensive, many benefits.

Cons

office politics and an environment of fear.

Advice to Management

Learn some people skills and live with the ARUP values instead of making people scared so much of the time. You will get better employees. Actually value your employees instead of talking the talk.