Arup - Slow advancement, below-average pay, but great project opportunities | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Arup

"Slow advancement, below-average pay, but great project opportunities"

Former Employee - Senior Structural Engineer
Former Employee - Senior Structural Engineer

I worked at Arup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great company to see the world from as there are opportunities to work on projects from New York to China and every where in between. Due to its many offices, its easy to request short and long-term transfers around the world to get the international experience that sets you apart in the job market. There is also room for sideways movement between disciplines due to large consultancy of Arup.

There is also a great sustainability drive in this company and your work and office strives to maintain that. Its a good atmosphere of smart and capable people all typically looking to do a greater good. Everyone seems to pull their own weight so micromanagement is unnecessary.

Cons

During my time with Arup, i saw that retention was an issue. As i left, I saw that finding engineers to accept jobs was an even bigger issue.

I was underpaid by over 20% and didn't realize it until i started searching for a new job. I regret staying as long as I did and loosing that money....the company wasn't worth it. Advancement seems to be at the whim of management and makes no sense when comparing John to Jane to Doe.

Advice to Management

its a competitive market and to get and keep good staff you have to deliver a better compensation package

Other Employee Reviews for Arup

"Will suck the life out you"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Arup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great and exciting projects, good EU reputation and cool global projects.

Cons

POOR upper management, unless you are a Brit or are a close friend of the elite group no chance for advancement or getting a fair deal.

Advice to Management

Clean up HR and the COO's attitude towards the US employees

"Bureaucratic"

Current Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Arup part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good for resume building and move on with life as soon as opportunity arises.

Cons

Bad for personal life and growth. There is fake sense of work life balance. All the smartness comes from very few individuals who pull off majority of tasks for rest of the politicians or gang members. The gangs go around chest thumping and take credit as "we did this" and talk to upper management outside the office hours at parties. The "we" is acceptable while advertising to the outside world, but when it happens internally, it is called back-stabbing.

The true credit and merit is never given to the individual who accomplished the task, since that individual is busy working with his head in sand on the next big project. Often this person never receives promotion unless he has a god father in the firm. The upper management is so busy affirming their positions in the company because of which they hardly recognize how the work got done. Many of the newbies and introverts work in constant fear of being reprimanded or being out-casted by the gang mentality.

They encourage staff who post on behalf of the firm on FB, LinkedIn and other social media. So there is a general sense of greatness. There is a book by the title "Snakes in Suits" and this firm is perfectly like it.