Asana - Great culture, lots of freedom in a company that trusts and respects employees | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Asana

"Great culture, lots of freedom in a company that trusts and respects employees"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In addition to all of the Silicon Valley perks you've come to expect from a smaller company in SF (free and amazing food cooked by an in-house culinary staff, yoga classes on-site, Uber credits, gym membership, full-time barista on staff...), the biggest perk of Asana is the company culture. From top to bottom, there is a strong focus on keeping employees engaged and empowered. Employees are treated with a level of trust that I haven't seen at any other company.

Also, the on-boarding process was amazing - Asana uses the Asana software extensively internally, including an extensive new employee project that is a guide to everything you need to know about your first few months with the company. The efficiency with which I was brought up to speed and able to feel like I was contributing meaningfully to my team was remarkable.

Cons

While it's a beautiful office with great views and comfortable furniture throughout, it can also be a very loud and distracting office. As the team grows, the noise continues to grow as well, and I actually find myself missing the personal space and sound muffling of the typical corporate cubicle farm. There are places where you can duck away for some peace and quiet, but if you dislike open floor plans you will find yourself booking conference rooms frequently.

Advice to Management

Find more ways to mitigate the noise in the large open areas. Also, many talented engineers who would be interested in joining the team are turned off by the discouragement for remote work - as the team grows and the Bay Area becomes more and more expensive and difficult to commute, more flexibility in employee location would be a huge boon.

Other Employee Reviews for Asana

"Absolutely the best place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Amazing CEO who has best interest of employees in mind
    + Leadership team doesn't cut corners
    + Thoughtful and transparent around decision-making
    + Thoughtful and strategic about growth of business and where to invest resources.
    + Smartest, self-motivated teammates I've worked with so far; they also don't have as much ego as other places.
    + Invests in employees through trainings, empowerment to make decisions, career coaching
    + Work life balance is amazing
    + 3 meals a day by in-house professional culinary team
    + Value of empowerment allows you to make decisions that impact the business instead of dealing with politics.
    + Really good equity packages allow you to feel invested for the long-term
    + Expanding very, very quickly at the moment.
    + Feel inspired to do my best work and feel supported to do that
    + Actually using Asana internally - inbox zero and transparency across the entire organization is so refreshing.
    + Really creative happy hours and company outings; not an excessive drinking culture like at other startups I've been in.
    + Feels really mature for a company at this stage.

Cons

- Sometimes wish we could move faster
    - Easy to not complete things fully because there's so much stuff to do.

Advice to Management

Thanks for staying thoughtful about how we grow! We really appreciate how you've structured Asana.

"Best company I have worked at"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Strong Team
    - Work Life Balance
    - Really Strong Culture
    - Mindful Growth and Scaling
    - Impact of work is felt by so many customers
    - Product that customers really really love and are crazy passionate about

Cons

- Office in San Francisco, which means that living in the city is really really expensive if you don't want a long commute
    - Have some debt relating to earlier technological choices that is still being paid down