Ashford University - The pay is definitely worth the workload | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ashford University

"The pay is definitely worth the workload"

Current Employee - Financial Services Advisor in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Financial Services Advisor in San Diego, CA

Pros

No other company will pay as good for the work load

Cons

Company is so huge it becomes difficult to advance

Other Employee Reviews for Ashford University

"I've worked for 30 years (started when I was 14) and this is BY FAR the worst place I've ever worked."

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO

Pros

Benefits are good, but you have to wait three months to get them.

Cons

People are promoted because they excelled in their jobs, not because they are good managers. I say promote the employees with skills, but please, please, please, give them some management training. Ashford University preys upon uneducated people in a low socioeconomic class. They promise them that everything will be better with a college degree. IF, they finish school with Ashford, they will have $50,000 more debt and will still likely have the same opportunities in the town in which they live. Ashford tells it's employees that they are working "warm" leads, but that is crap. You are cold-calling. NO QUESTION! You will spend day after day after day calling people that don't want to talk to you. You go through 2 weeks of training and then when you get to the "floor", you're told to forget EVERYTHING you learned in training. Why train then? I was not fired from this job, I chose to leave. I'm sure I could've stayed and even become a manager, but I just couldn't do it. I felt dirty working here. You will too if you go to work for Ashford!

Advice to Management

Get some management training! PLEASE! You don't know the first thing about coaching your employees! Another piece of advice, give your employees some praise. They work hard and deserve it!

"Good Steady Pay/Possible Overtime/STRESS/QUOTAS/Awesome Coworkers"

Former Employee - Team Lead/Admissions Counselor in Poway, CA
    Former Employee - Team Lead/Admissions Counselor in Poway, CA

Pros

Great coworkers, great pay, great benefits for the San Diego area. 9-6 with an hour lunch. Fun activities. CLEAN work environment, nice building, great cafe (a little pricey), computer system for database leads

Cons

STRESS. STRESS. STRESS. If you are good, you are expected to do better. If you are bad, expect to constantly be in fear of losing your job. If you are ok, always feel pressured and confused. If you can do this job, you can do any sales job. They changed it from sales, by just changing the words... instead of an "app" you "changed a life". They dangle the carrot that you can move up and I never saw anyone. Saw a lot of managers lose their job. Being a manager is said to be "the privilege of working a lot more hours for not a lot more pay." Working with someone who is not motivated for 5 weeks, is very stressful. I did great there, and still almost gave myself an ulcer. DOG YEARS. There is a 6 month expiration date on your head.

Advice to Management

Don't go into management unless you are devoted to having your life owned by Ashford.