Ask Media Group - Great Environment, Opportunity for Growth and Smart People | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ask Media Group

"Great Environment, Opportunity for Growth and Smart People"

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Oakland, CA
Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Ask Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I didn't know how I great I had it here or I would have never left! The environment can't be beat and is extremely creative and energetic, while also casual. The people are very smart and there is plenty of growth opportunity for those who stick around and prove themselves.

Cons

They seem to repeat similar cycles every three months and every year, which can get a little tiresome (haven't we been there, done that before)? It also can be a bit depressing to be such an underdog.

Advice to Management

Sometimes the management they introduce can be a bit erratic and off mark, but overall a great place to work and great visionaries in leadership. The key will be to stick to a long term strategy that works for growth.

Other Employee Reviews for Ask Media Group

"Googled"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Ask Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of good smart creative people at Ask which makes work in general a lot easier and fun. The site still gets a lot of traffic which can make work interesting and challenging, and the current CEO Doug Leeds who led the acquisition of Lexico, now called Dictionary.com, "gets it."

Cons

The company is marketing driven, reflecting its owner Barry Diller's personality - he is no tech guru. So engineers are made to feel like second class citizens compared with marketing staff. Ask, which was once Ask Jeeves was bought in 2005, and is now supported mostly through the largess of Diller, who'd rather sell the company but can't because no one in their right mind wants to buy a company that competes with Google.

Following a series of restructurings, they shut down their search engineering operation in 2010. Things seem to have stabilized. Ask is now largely an advertising portal like Yahoo but with fewer services. Like many unsuccessful startups, working there can feel like being among the "living dead."

Advice to Management

A different meaning to the term "googled."

2. "Better than many other companies"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Ask Media Group full-time

Pros

- Nice people and fun to work with.
    - Flexible working hours. Nobody is checking on you every hour.
    - Good salary and environment.
    - We use Scrum, but we don't use it perfectly.

Cons

- Long review cycles (once a year).
    - Low referral bonus.
    - Sometimes, it's very business-driven.

Advice to Management

The company needs some clean-up to get rid of the useless engineers because they will affect the good ones negatively.