Ask Media Group - An awesome place to work and an awesome company to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ask Media Group

"An awesome place to work and an awesome company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Ask Media Group full-time

Pros

The "no-official" vacation policy where you can take as much time off as you want, casual dress, snacks in the kitchen, close to bart, upper management are easy to talk to, the company makes you feel valued as an employee

Cons

Sit behind a computer all day

Advice to Management

Can we get some caffeine-free diet soda?

Other Employee Reviews for Ask Media Group

"Great opportunity to forge your own path. Some big company drawbacks."

Pros

Ask.com supported my desire to move around a bit during my tenure. They welcomed ambition and desire to learn new parts of the business and rewarded that with new opportunities. The work/life balance is mostly good and compensation is in-line with the market. The best part of my experience with Ask were the people. It's a scrappy little company that is full of a really wide variety of people (singers, artists, bakers, you name it).

Cons

There is too much discussion of "culture." It's great to want to foster a strong company culture but if you have to work so hard at it (special clubs, ceo calling it out in meetings, etc.) then it often times feels too forced. Culture can be supported by a company but it often times felt like the company was trying to create it. Hopefully that has changed by now. Beyond that, there was a real divide between employees and contractors. I understand there are legal issues but when you don't invite a full team to an offsite lunch because of legal worries then you're in a sticky spot in terms of team cohesion. Making matters worse was the fact that it seemed like only certain functions were staffed with contractors (essentially all QA) which formed a bit of a divide between Engineering and QA.

Advice to Management

If you're still beating the culture drum (see above) then take a step back and figure out the components that lead to a company having a great culture (inspiring goals, nice workspaces, places to chill and talk with colleagues, etc.) and then sit back and see what happens.

2. "Great Environment, Opportunity for Growth and Smart People"

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Ask Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I didn't know how I great I had it here or I would have never left! The environment can't be beat and is extremely creative and energetic, while also casual. The people are very smart and there is plenty of growth opportunity for those who stick around and prove themselves.

Cons

They seem to repeat similar cycles every three months and every year, which can get a little tiresome (haven't we been there, done that before)? It also can be a bit depressing to be such an underdog.

Advice to Management

Sometimes the management they introduce can be a bit erratic and off mark, but overall a great place to work and great visionaries in leadership. The key will be to stick to a long term strategy that works for growth.