Aspire Public Schools - Great organization | Glassdoor

"Great organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Aspire Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Aspire has a great mission and staff. The systems, infrastructure, and culture around making data-driven decisions at all levels of the organization are years ahead of most other school districts. The commitment to serve students by building strong teachers is powerful. Overall, the organization runs very efficiently.

Cons

The organization has very high expectations which can require large time input. The focus on test scores is understandable given they are a charter, but is more narrowly focused on math and english than I would like.

Other Employee Reviews for Aspire Public Schools

1. "Absolutely no work-personal life balance!"

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Aspire Public Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They care about helping kids achieve and get to college. They have professional development (although way too much) to help teachers get better.

Cons

There is no balance between work and personal life. My nights and weekends are spent lesson planning. Everything (and I mean everything) must be made from scratch. There are no textbooks or resources to use to create lessons, worksheets, or workstations. There is constant testing (a different test every week) that feels like it never ends. The school I am at has lacked an effective principal and school-wide behavioral system, and as a result kids are extremely disrespectful and defiant toward many of the teachers. Aspire offers a "teacher resource portal" online to "help" with lesson plan ideas, however there is almost nothing in it and I don't know any teachers who use it. Low salary.

Advice to Management

Give your teachers more practical resources to help planning, stop having so many PDs during the week, and pay teachers what they're worth (70+ hr workweeks)!

"disappointing"

Former Contractor - Education Specialist in Stockton, CA
    Former Contractor - Education Specialist in Stockton, CA

I worked at Aspire Public Schools as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

the educational practices in regular education
    the other staff members who are devoted to students and doing quality work
    resources available

Cons

teaching to the test instead by the individual's needs
    no loyalty to teachers
    corporate attitude

Advice to Management

It was a good experience to see good teaching practices being taught, but the respect of teachers who do know how to teach and need to tweak their procedures to comply to your verb-age was not there. If you give no loyalty, you won't receive any in return.