Association For Supervision & Curriculum Development - Not a Place I Would Recommend | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Association For Supervision & Curriculum Development

"Not a Place I Would Recommend"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA
Former Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Good location - shuttle service provided to/from Metro
Excellent work/life balance & benefits package
Highly respected organization

Cons

Change-averse & elderly senior management
Over-reliance on institutionalized practices ("We do it that way b/c that's the way we've done it.")
No opportunity for advancement
Low salaries (typical for nonprofit industry, however)
"Too lily-white" (by one senior manager's own admission)
Talks diversity but seldom practices it (most of staff is white female)
Passive-aggressive management styles
Mostly populated by career educators with little to no actual business experience
Progressive political outlook practically a requirement for employment

Advice to Management

Too many managers in senior positions are entrenched "lifers" who are basically clock-punching before heading to Florida. Organization desperately needs to start walking the diversity talk it so regularly heralds in its publications. The flagship magazine has been elderly white female for well over a decade if not more; and the organization only hired its first minority editor a few years ago. Opportunities for advancement should be created to encourage younger staffers to remain with the organization vs. leaving to find work elsewhere after 2-3 years.; and the progressive political mindset needs to be re-examined since, unless you are an elderly woman with a Democratic leaning, there is not much of a place for you at this association.

Other Employee Reviews for Association For Supervision & Curriculum Development

"do not recommend"

Pros

Free parking and a teleworking option

Cons

Too many upper managers with little to no business sense; not enough people who actually do the work. Basically, it's a for-profit business masquerading as a non-profit. They are so focused on the bottom line and increasing revenue that the company is losing focus on helping teachers. Why? Because teachers have no money to spend. I find it to be a really negative place to work. I can't wait to be in a position to quit and do something else.

2. "Nice place to work but in financial trouble"

Former Employee - Editor in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Editor in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Association For Supervision & Curriculum Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees and association overall were nice. I give HR good marks, unlike most places. Good location, just off I-395 and Seminary Road, some lunch places within a block or two.

Cons

The only con I see at this point is their financial trouble. They've been having to lay people off every few months for the past year or so.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep your staff apprised of the financial situation.

Work at Association For Supervision & Curriculum Development? Share Your Experiences

Association For Supervision & Curriculum Development