Assurant - Hard work, doesn't pay off | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Assurant

"Hard work, doesn't pay off"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Assurant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with great people, who will be friends for life

Cons

Overworked, no room for upward mobility, no significant pay increases, no bonuses unless you are management

Advice to Management

Don't just listen to the "voice of the customer", listen to the people who work hard for you everyday.

Other Employee Reviews for Assurant

"Good start in the industry - Not recommended for seasoned adjusters."

Former Employee - Field Claims Adjuster in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Field Claims Adjuster in Newark, NJ

I worked at Assurant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Yearly summit meeting is nice. Fellow adjusters are good people with real backbones.

Cons

Assurant insures the majority of vacant foreclosures in the US. You will be dealing with squatters in vacant homes (in high violent crime areas) on a daily basis.
    Without getting into too much detail; the job is dangerous. When you notify management that you couldn't scope a loss due to being chased out by violent squatters, their advice is to simply "go to the house earlier tomorrow" (scope quietly before the squatters wake up).
    There is an issue with NY / NJ management. In my humble opinion - management in these states appear to purposefully delay your work so they can swoop in and "Fix" the problem that they themselves created.
    The workload is highly unreasonable. Generally speaking your southern and western counterpart adjusters all really like their jobs (save the ones in the rough cities) - they handle TVMM's in small ranches or single story homes; and the squatter situation isn't as bad as the eastern region.. You are expected to close 12 full files per week; at first that doesn't sound so bad. The thing is your basically writing total loss TVMM claims in 3 story homes (the claims are huge) - and there's always that manager who's there deliberately delaying your files.
    All paperwork and mailing of file documents are handled by you - nothing is automated.

Advice to Management

Upper management - please monitor your managers. In my time with this company I was never once asked by upper management how I was being treated.
    Yearly performance reviews are handled by managers who refuse to call you for the review.
    I spent 4 weeks playing phone tag with my manager about my review.
    Lastly - promote competence for god sake. Most Adjusters at this company will agree when I say "At Assurant; if your a stellar field adjuster - then thats where they will keep you.

"Don't believe the line that "you are important"..."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Duluth, GA

I worked at Assurant full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of benefits and employee perks. Overtime often available. Nice working conditions. Lots of co-workers who become your friends. Reasonable work schedules and hours.

Cons

You really are just a number. Friends of management are frequently promoted whether they have the qualifications or not. Management is allowed to run over their employees. Human resources dept. is NOT your friend. They also operate under the "friend" umbrella. Management is not interested in intelligent employees, but loves those who are subservient!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you would want to be treated. Try to deal with each employee separately and not judge them as a group. Lighten up on attendance rules and the workplace will be a happier and more productive environment. STOP the favoritism! Just because someone is your "friend" does not mean they are the best suited for a particular job. Promote more from within and stop bringing in people who want to change everything overnight. Praise and reward your employees instead of ignoring them!