AtHoc - Experiencing growth pains, but still a good company to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AtHoc

"Experiencing growth pains, but still a good company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at AtHoc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management team committed and passionate about the product. Good growth trajectory. Generally open to updating the technology stack. Nice mix of old timers and new hires on the engineering team. Free lunches. There does seem to be a commitment to improving development processes and becoming more agile.

Cons

Hectic (and frequent) release schedules. Still burdened with "fire-fighting" mentality at times. New development projects tend to go more to new hires, which leaves older developers stuck with maintaining and supporting legacy technologies.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent to employees about corporate financials and sharing information. It really does help to keep employee morale high.

Other Employee Reviews for AtHoc

"I enjoy working at AtHoc"

I have been working at AtHoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission, friendly atmosphere, approachable management that listens to employees, strategic vision, team spirit.
    This company makes serious product, not just "something to make money".
    Fun Committee is very creative and are opened for everyone to join. Employees decide how and when we have fun.
    Free lunches, dinners, snacks, fruits, free shuttle from Caltrain and other benefits.
    I think AtHoc is a very thoughtful, stable company with great future.
    Work-life balance: if you work too hard to meet release deadline - you will be rewarded.

Cons

Promotions
    Compensation could be slightly better to be on top of the market
    .net in bay area

Advice to Management

More options for career growth

"A Honest Review"

I have been working at AtHoc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been reading the reviews and it seems to fluctuate between "AtHoc is the best place to work!!!" or "AtHoc is evil!", thought I would throw in my two cents about the good and the bad. I work remotely so I can't speak for day-to-day operation at HQ but being with the company for several years I do have a good understanding of policies and procedures.

Pros:
    -Flexible work hours. I don't have a set time that I need to be available, just as long as my tasks are done when they should be done. Everyone is happy.

-Management. If you would of approached me about a 1-2 years ago this would of definitely been a con. The hiring of more employees and some internal reshuffling has allowed management to offload their workload onto the new hires and allow them to be more engaged with their team. I know one of my frustrations at the beginning was that my requests/questions were sometimes ignored. Now I usually have an answer within hours, and most of the time <1 hr.

-Recognition. Could be the cynic in me as I worked in federal government before working for AtHoc and not ever being recognized for the work I did. Working of AtHoc has been a revelation in this regard. If you put in the work you will get recognized and rewarded both in the short term and long term, I've gotten gift cards in the mail for completing a difficult task as a way of thanks, yearly bonus larger than what was originally promised, etc. If you do good work you will be noticed.

-Benefits. Not sure what the current benefit package they are giving out to new employees but what I received was more than fair, plus seems like every year they are adding new benefits (401k matching, increased vacation, etc.)

-Compensation. Not really a pro or a con but I think it should be addressed. I feel my pay is satisfactory for myself and where I live. But if for some reason I was forced to relocate to headquarters, I would probably be looking for another job even if they given me a pretty hefty raise. Also salary negotiation when I was initially hired was a huge turn off for me as I was told "Here's our offer and that's it" nearly walked out of the building because I felt it was a bullying technique.

Cons

-Work/Life Balance - This was really bad when I first started working for AtHoc and other people's reviews in regards to this are legitimate. However, it has significantly improved for myself as I have learned to say "No" without feeling like I was going to be ostracized or reprimanded. Plus with our workforce doubling since I started has helped immensely where I can concentrate on my actual job rather than putting out fires. But I do feel sometimes that Sr. Management can't seem to understand why 80 hour work weeks are not a good thing.

-Sr. Management. Now I said management was a pro in my review but this is in regards to my immediate manager and leads. This is addressing the higher tier of management, responsible for the communication between the CEO/CIO to us. I don't have proof but I feel there is a big filter between what CEO communicates to his team and what is communicated back to us, same for us saying something to the CEO and either getting misconstrued or not even relayed to leadership. I think this is where those "Throws you under the bus" reviews come into play with some of these reviews. Also I feel a "good ol' boys club" vibe within AtHoc, I attribute this to AtHoc hiring a lot of former military (myself included) as our product is used within DoD. Most of our DoD leadership is comprised of ex-Colonels/Lt. Colonels who are buddy-buddy and would rather listen/side with one of their own rather than hear ideas outside of their circle.

-Turnover. It's very hard establishing good work relationships within AtHoc as I feel there seems to be a revolving door when it comes to employees, especially on the development side of the company. I know when I need to do some work at headquarters or just doing the rounds at our company holiday party, I am surprised by the number of people that I do not know.

-Interview Process. This was pretty brutal process when I went through this, and I hope they have changed this process. First of all were the phone interviews, three in all. Once I passed that I was flown to headquarters, first day I had a bunch of face-to-face interviews with several different people and then a technical evaluation. Day 2 I had some more interviews and then had to give a presentation. By the end of the process I was mentally exhausted as I felt if I tripped up any where I wouldn't get offered a job. Their reasoning was explained to me as "we want to make sure we get the best people" but at the same time I'm curious how many qualified people they turned away because of this intense interview process.

Advice to Management

Overall I would say AtHoc has been more positive than negative experience for me. I think the biggest issue with AtHoc is that they have been this tiny startup company of about 50 employees to this successful business with significant growth the past few years. This has caused a number of "growing pains" during this transition and I feel they are starting to smooth out. My experience from AtHoc at the beginning to where I am now has significantly improved, but there are still some more wrinkles to iron out.