Atkins - Don't expect to advance or treated with prefessional respect | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Atkins

"Don't expect to advance or treated with prefessional respect"

Former Employee - GIS Analyst in Beltsville, MD
Former Employee - GIS Analyst in Beltsville, MD

Pros

Friendly staff and middle management (for the most part). Never got a 'No' answer when I needed time off for a sick or vacation day.

Cons

Disrespectful management, crazy deadlines, not having final data, no raises. If staff (non-management) want to be respected and paid more they are expected to make this their passion, come in off the clock, work weekends, take extra classes for fun, write papers, etc.. When promotion time comes, there's no way for someone that works 40 hours per week and doesn't work extra (off the clock) to get a full 3% raise, those are reserved for those that go above and beyond on their own time. Don't expect to have a work-life balance and be able to get ahead. If you like to make friends and occasionally talk with your fellow employees you will be looked at as a 'slacker' and I don't mean chatting all day I mean socialize as in drop by and have a brief talk with someone about their day, weekend, family, sports, etc.. They will play favorites and reward those who suck up to management. ONLY CONSIDER WORKING HERE IF YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED A JOB! Half the staff has considered leaving for non-professional careers like fast food management, trade school, package delivery, and the like (no knock against those careers but it's not why you go to college and get a degree or advanced degree). You also don't get 'sick days' if you're sick or have an emergency count on using you're accrued vacation time. You get 0 to start and accrue at a rate of 4 hours per week. You can also count on paying for your own holiday party.

Advice to Management

Start over, treat your staff professionally, they are not drones they are people who have lives outside of work. Give them respect, incentives, and TRY to make them feel like coming into work everyday isn't the worst part of their day.

Other Employee Reviews for Atkins

1. "Rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN

Pros

the benefits package is excellent - one of the biggest reasons I joined. I prefer working for small companies , because of the more personalized help/assistance. Knowing people by name is important to me.

Cons

Because of the project-based employment, I feel separated from the business of NSA. I would like to be more involved with supporting and helping the company, but I understand that the billability of my position is also important.

2. "I have only been with NSA for about six months, and so far, I have been very impressed with the company."

Current Employee - Training Department in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Training Department in Oak Ridge, TN

Pros

I have been very impressed with the hiring practices of NSA
    The president seems to be very personable and cares about his employees
    Excellent HR staff
    As an employee, I feel valued
    Monetary benefits are very competitive

Cons

As a new employee, I wasn't given a lot of guidance as far as how to complete my first timesheet, set up my employee personal info on the employee page, etc. It would have been helpful to receive an employee orientation so I would know what to expect and what was expected of me.

Advice to Management

Provide a new employee orienation to everyone joining the staff of NSA.