Atkins - It's a job. | Glassdoor

"It's a job."

Current Employee - Engineer II in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Engineer II in Houston, TX

I have been working at Atkins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job. Thing's are pretty good and i've had an opportunity to get a fairly broad range of experience.

Cons

When things are slow, getting laid off is always on the mind. Although, thats the nature of civil engineer.

I can always use a raise!

Other Employee Reviews for Atkins

"Look for a better place, PBS&J's culture is gone after buyout by Atkins Global"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Atkins full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The actual people who do the work at the mid and lower levels are fantastic. There are some really good contracts and some interesting programs. I loved working with my client. The clients were definitely the most interesting part of the job.

Cons

The upper management is awful and North America runs as a good ole' boy structure. No raises for years, hundreds of people have been laid off on more than one occasion with no warning, etc. I loved working for PBS&J and fortunately for me I was tied to a contract so I wasn't one of those laid off at the start, but still had to watch a lot of good people go and not know what was next with no information or time to plan. I can't count how many people called me to say they felt like they were being forced out/shut out. I worked in two different offices, but the management doesn't change so there are no improvements to be gained from moving from one office to another. Not only was I told that I was an integral part of the program team for my client, but other people were told as well...still no raises or advancement. Anyway, after 10 years (8 of those with PBS&J), I quit my job to go make less money because the management was so terrible. I loved working for PBS&J, had planned to someday retire from there and can't even begin to tell you what a disappointment the Atkins takeover and horrible management practices were. They bring people in from the U.K. to work, but as a North American employee you're warned by lower level managers that you could be fired for even talking about transferring to Australia or someplace else for new opportunities.

Advice to Management

I really feel it's too late to regain what you lost. The smart, creative and dedicated people that jumped ship because of the management are so many that they're hard to count. PBS&J has been gutted/destroyed by the buyout and Atkins management will never regain that because the culture is so different. PBS&J was a wonderful, creative and open place that attracted the best of the best. You'll notice that the best keep leaving, which has everything to do with making your employees feel that they don't matter and have no real opportunities, but are boxed in and that the bottom line is the only important thing even when that involves not doing the best job for your client. Additionally, trying to box people into contracts and not letting them transfer out to explore new opportunities only keeps sheep where you want them...the others will leave for lack of opportunity.

"consider working here ONLY IF YOU'RE A SHEEP"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Pros

Professionals who care & sacrifice.The production architects & in-house management always went beyond the call of duty, but were cut off at the knees by ineptitude & arrogance further up.

Cons

Disrespectful management, calling consultants vulgar terms after ending a phone call, screaming at a young, female architect because she got a detail wrong,(she quit) throwing a set of drawings at you saying "Pick up these red-lines." which I found out meant do Project Coordination of 12 consultants on 2 buildings - one existing - & he thought THAT should be done in a week!
    Don't even think of recording your real time on timesheets - my immediate manager worked every weekend & many evenings the whole time I was there - the entire team had to work Easter Sunday - for FREE!
    If a co-worker was at my desk, at 8:08, he received a comment - not from his manager, but mine, to the effect he should have been working for half an hour already - not visiting! And he worked 10 hours a day everyday! Upper management was either a blow-hard or blowing smoke -THAT's why the projects are failing.

Advice to Management

Intimidation is a REALLY out-moded form of management. So is a "Good-ole-boys" club mentality. You CAN'T manage a BIM project if you don't DO BIM. Don't try to bullsh*t your clients.