Atlantic Express - Decent place while you look for something better | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Atlantic Express

"Decent place while you look for something better"

Former Employee - School Bus Driver in Farmingdale, NY
Former Employee - School Bus Driver in Farmingdale, NY

I worked at Atlantic Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Mon-Fri, split shift so you can do shopping, go to a doctors appointment, or get your haircut after your AM run.

-Decent hourly wage.

-Pays better hourly than most CDL B jobs on Long Island. You make the same working part time as you would working for Rides Unlimited fulltime.

Will train you to get a CDL if don't have one, FREE training and they pay you minimum wage while training. I've heard many complain that they pay you minimum wage while training, most CDL schools will charge you thousands to get a CDL, Atlantic Express trains you for free and pays you while doing it. When I got my CDL I had to do it on my own time and didn't get paid a dime.

Cons

-Split shift so it takes up your entire day, you pull out of the yard at 6am and pull in for the day after 4pm, your whole day is gone and you get for 4-6 hours a day. You have a 4-6 hour period after your AM run before your PM run. Sure it's off time, but you are at home responsible for your bus, you will probably be like the rest and end up sitting at home watching TV or napping afraid to do anything be cause you'll be tired for your PM run.

-At least with other part tine jobs that are NOT split shift work does not consume your entire day. While driving a school bus most wake up at 4-5am get into work before those who work an 8 hour day, and get home around the same time as someone with a 8-4 full time job.

-Runs suck until you gain seniority, the senior drivers get the great runs and you get whatever is leftover for the newbies to pick from. You don't move up based on your job performance but move up based on how long you've been there.

-If they train you to get your CDL you are required to stay a year, part of the pre hire paper work you fill out is the legal paper work they serve with to sue you if you leave early. I thought it was awesome they made you fill out the paper work they file a lawsuit against you and the paperwork they serve you with, nice touch. lol

-Decent hourly wage, but the hours you get per week you cannot live on in this area.

Advice to Management

School Bus drivers should probably be the best of the best in the industry, am I wrong? Sure there are retirees working there with decades of experience but how sharp are their driving skills? People leave this job as soon as they can because they don't make enough money and get crappy runs while the senior drivers get the best runs.

First do away with seniority, you shouldn't be able to move up just by being in the seat longest. Award runs by attendance, safety record, performance.

Next you need to make this a job that the best want to keep, not give up at the first shot at a better job. Increase the wages where those who are not retirees living off a pension can actually afford an apartment on their own. Have drivers eligible for the NYS pension plan so they have something to look forward to and after decades of taking care of our communities children will be taken care of when they retire.

Other Employee Reviews for Atlantic Express

1. "AE staten island"

Pros

flexible hours, most drivers and support staff were good

Cons

low pay, somewhat disorganized management, not the best buses

2. "open"

Pros

Very out going, dependable willing to learn as I earn. I am certificates in warehouse management along with forklift operations from OSHA.

Cons

Working on my PRO's not my CON's