Atlas Oil - Chaos at it's best | Glassdoor

"Chaos at it's best"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taylor, MI
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taylor, MI

I worked at Atlas Oil full-time

Pros

Clean work environment, good people for the most part

Cons

Cut corners in every department, but spend $100K on remodels and new furniture. The "stop" no "go", wait "stop", no change everything and "go" culture gets old and exhausting very quickly. They can't seem to pick a lane. When owner puts pressure on leadership to perform, look out because we are all going to pay the price for them taking 6 vacations a year or leaving early 4 days a week. Trust is non -existent. No matter what, there is no where to go including your team leader to discuss any issues, especially if it's about your team leader. They can do no wrong. Once you open this can of worms, you're pretty much marked for a walk out the door at some point. The rest of the reviews are accurate about the "yes sir, no sir" atmosphere and this carries through every department of the company. Most of us walk on eggshells every day. Never know what's going to set a team leader off or Sam. Short skirts and low cut tops get all the attention. The salary differences between new hires and those that have been there several years is unreal. They will pay them anything to get them in the door. Where is the "so called" Leveling out of salaries?? There are double standards all over the place. There are salaried workers working 60-70 hours a week and then salaried workers working 40 hours a week. Most employees are good people but like in prior reviews, they are right. Many of them will blatantly lie or deceive to throw you under the bus. Advice is to keep every email and piece of correspondence because you're going to need it to get your butt out of trouble at some point. It's very political and everything is for show. Don't ever complain about anything because that's a sign of weakness for your team and you have to look good in front of Sam.

Advice to Management

Take the PI exams seriously. Understand why the employee is unhappy. You might be surprised how much they enjoy their work but not how they are treated. Remember that we all put our pants on in the morning just the same as you. Come back down to our level and start listening and truly understanding the processes and systems. They are supposed to be role models, yet most don't even understand what it is their team members really do day to day.

Other Employee Reviews for Atlas Oil

"Paid the bills, bought me some time to get settled. Not a Career orientated business."

Current Employee - Mechanic in Hammond, IN
    Current Employee - Mechanic in Hammond, IN

I have been working at Atlas Oil full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free pop. popcorn, and nice dinners here and there. 401k match. Paycheck always cashed. The owner peeked in every now and then to say hi. He is a generous person. He also supports the troops with his pocketbook.

Cons

Crappy raises, 30 cents per hour a year dont do much, to many Managers. Performance Review program doesnt make sense. I was on the fleet maintenance side the regional manager of that had too many responsiblities to be able to control everything he needed to, He worked 7 days a week 15+ hours a day. Everything was bought the cheapest they could find, very inefficient.

Advice to Management

Get a guy with a Mechanic/Shop backround to run your Corporate Fleet Program. You shouldn't have inexperienced pencil pushers making decisions about something they know nothing about.

"Another Dissatisfied Customer"

Current Employee - Manager in Taylor, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Taylor, MI

I have been working at Atlas Oil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Owner is personally involved in ever aspect of this company. Great core values, great presentation at orientation with meeting all the local executives.

Cons

Atlas Oil is just another company that is run by an owner that just can’t quite relinquish control. “Elevate and Delegate” is a portion of the book called Traction might need to re-read it. I applaud an owner so involved with his creation but enough is enough. He hires folks that have no idea of what his business is and they just “yes sir yes sir” all day long and others are swept out the door because of it.

We have lost some seriously good talent because of ignorance. When will this company look at its mistake to stop re-visiting the same errors year after year? We need leadership to make informed decision, not knee jerk reactions. That is a sign of weakness, in the last 5 years we have lost 6-7 directors or higher, and countless folks lower. The turnover rate is at an unacceptable level. “Grow or Go” mentality is stupid. If a person is there and is dead weight that is understandable (right person – right seat), then by all means make a change. To make a change just because we “shouldn’t be satisfied with doing the same thing this year like we did last year”? That is ridiculous, your people have families and to release them like an NFL Football coach after not making the playoffs is stupid!

Please read all of the reviews, I am not the only “disgruntled” employee that got hooked into the company’s BS about “Core Values”. One of the posters on the wall is: “We are Aggressors not Defenders”. No kidding there, they are as aggressive as any company I have had the misfortune to work for. God help you if you have to be on the opposite side of this owner!

They continuously add more and more personnel in order to show company growth, yet do not look at the number of people they are replacing. It isn’t growth when you are replacing! They have awards for the employees that are nominated via their peers. Funny part, it is popularity contest. Some folks are nominated for just about every category; a lot of the nominees are higher management as well. Really? A Director or VP needs to be recognized as being good at his job when his workers are the mules of the unit? Most executives are already well compensated, to award these leaders instead of the hard working employees below them.

Whenever this place gets their head out of the collective “rear ends”, it might actually be a force to be reckoned with. Mr. Simon wants a power house and what Mr. Simon wants, Mr. Simon gets! Owners should be involved, just needs to have realistic goals.

As others mentioned about “WRA-What’s Rockin Atlas” it is a sort of Pep Rally for the employees. At first this concept sounds great, but as the weeks turn to months, months turn to years you will start to realize that this is all “smoke and mirrors”. Also, others testified that the management turnover is quite high. Workers will not grow comfortable with managers because they are not sure how long they will be around. This kind of situation has to stop; you will never make it to the next level until you hire the right people for the right jobs. Changing managers will only hurt the company in the long run even Mr. Simon should know this by now.

Good luck if you are accepted to be one of the elite folks for this company. Hopefully, you will be one of the few that make it past the first year. If you aren’t, then you have had plenty of warnings about the pending problem at this company.

Advice to Management

Wow, this is a loaded question. How about treat your employees that way your "Core Values" say. Live your Core Values, and not just when Sam Simon is close by. Treat people like you should have been treated early on in your careers. Quit using the statement "We are an at-will company", and for the folks that do not understand - they can get rid of you "at-will" without reason. And they do just that.