Atlona - Atlona Abysmal | Glassdoor

"Atlona Abysmal"

I have been working at Atlona full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are so many talented, good natured, skilled people who have worked and who still do work at Atlona. These people make working at Atlona possible.

Cons

The Cons are as follows...
Compensation = Horrible
Corporate Environment = Hell
Respect from Upper Management to employees = Minimal at best
Corporate Culture = "Just work and shut the Hell Up" + "Employees are not important"
Strategic Vision = NONE

There is No corporate vision
There is No corporate mission (except "Get more money")
There is No clear direction
There is No strategic outlook
There are people who literally cry every week being at Atlona

Most people are searching for new jobs once they get to Atlona.
Many managers try to pretend that things are not terrible and that the problems are your fault
Managers don't take responsibility

Advice to Management

My advice to executive management would be to make more of an effort to make the people who work at Atlona feel valued, appreciated, respected and heard. In order to develop a better corporate culture and inspire people provide and operate according to a vision that people can buy into.

Establish a clear mission for the company so people know and understand what the company is doing and why. Otherwise people feel like hamsters on a wheel going nowhere for no reason except to receive a paycheck. That type of condition is unrewarding and leads to high turn over.

Pay people industry standards or above for what they do, this is key because it inspires loyalty and promotes a sense that people are really valued. Above all else listen to the burdens, suggestions and insights that the employees have and respond to them publicly and respectfully.

Other Employee Reviews for Atlona

"Great products, messed up management"

Pros

most employees are nice fun people

Cons

Pay plan is horrible. very underpaid. Benefits are OK, but only 7 company holidays, what a joke! Major disconnect from SR management with rest of the company. Many employees very unhappy. Lots of people leaving company

Keep changing internal structure, but keep putting things off and don't keep the actual salespeople in the loop. New products need to be ready for market before announcing them

Advice to Management

Hire someone experienced to run the company, someone who values your employees. Don't forget that your employees are your biggest asset. Don't take them for granted

"Adaptation is an art form."

Former Employee - Director of Marketing in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Marketing in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atlona full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Atlona, birthed out of the former Lenexpo, has proven to a niche industry that a focused dedicated staff can topple even the giants that rule that space. Historically, they came from nowhere, and took on entrenched market leaders, like Gefen, while staving off new competitors like Wyrestorm and Hydra. Where are those companies now? All of them sold to some larger company. Their owners threw in the towel. Hydra was hanging by a thread until it was rescued.

I look over the reviews on GD, and see the jaded 1 star reviews from former employees that all left with a grudge. Having worked there from the humble beginnings of Atlona, from more that 5 years, I can tell you, if what they say was the way that Atlona operated, they would not be where they are. Holding a third of the market. Preferred by installers.

so here is a list of Pro's
    - Connected CEOs. Anyone in the company can walk up and talk to the owners of the company like they are peers. they communicate openly to everyone. They listen, absorb, and are willing to change their understanding of a situation.
    - Culture. I have worked for publicly traded companies that banned the sale of girlscout cookies, would not allow employees to play basket ball on the premises, did not have Christmas/holiday parties, etc. All out of fear of upsetting an employee. Atlonians know each other, accept each other, and have fun together.
    - Group Learning. To the people who act like experts and have nothing to learn, I say what you don't know could fill volumes. At Atlona, I was constantly trying new things, which took learning new things. Every step of the way was supported by the Owners. Often they were so interested that they would join me in the Some of the skills I picked up there i was able to utilize to grow the business. Some of the skills I picked up only recently panned out to enhance and advance my career.

Cons

- Turn over. if you drop out of the sky from some larger corporation, and take a position at an SMB, unless you end up falling hopelessly in love with the gig, you are not going to last long. 2008 through 2012 was post-apocalyptic as far as the job market was concerned. The recently unemployed were crawling out of the wood works. Each of them came with their own understanding of how things should go. They all ended up leaving. Many of their reviews are below.

- Focus is changing. Now that Atlona is shifting its focus toward a massive commercial market, from a niche market, it's almost as if their entire branding and marketing machine has to restart. The crossover from Residential Custom Installation, to Commercial applications is not enough to support the same growth percentages as was seen in CI. From a disconnected employee's perspective this could look like a lack of investment in what they find important. Where is my budget? it being reinvested in turning the ship toward new, more profitable, waters.

Advice to Management

Keep trucking. You are past the dark days. Keep your product line as tight as it is, but remember to diversify in proven technologies. HDMI and HDBaseT are fantastic, but IP video may come out of left field changing how we interact with video in the coming years. Keep your humility, it's endearing; but remember; You... no, We created something amazing.