Atmel - Company trying to grow to next level. In process of establishing basic foundation for growth. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Atmel

"Company trying to grow to next level. In process of establishing basic foundation for growth."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Atmel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of room for improvement.

Cons

Very difficult to make sustainable changes.

Atmel Response

Nov 25, 2014 – hr

Thank you for your feedback. We are dedicated to building a world-class company that leads the industry by advanced technologies and products, and its winning culture. As you stated, there are areas... More

Other Employee Reviews for Atmel

"Can't learn more in this company"

Former Employee - Business Planner in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Business Planner in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people and an easy going working environment

Cons

Too many changes in a short time period

"No culture, tyrannical HR, overpaid executives, underpaid worker bees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office is clean and located near some nice restaurants and the San Jose Airport. It has free parking. A lot of the people are really very friendly and nice, although they're mostly quite downtrodden and submissive.

Cons

The HR department is run tyrannically. It's like a little fascist state, and all HR communications treat people as if they are infants, not grown up adults. The entire company culture reflects this attitude. You'd think management believes it is running a kindergarten the way it condescends and talks down to employees. No alcohol is ever allowed at company events (probably because they consider us children), instead we are treated to "dunk tanks" (dunk your favorite executive, hurray! what are we, 5 years old?) and the occasional ice cream social (which HR cals the cheapest way to make employees happy). Once they even made us go to a company picknick on a weekend, as if we didn't already not have enough free time.

Meanwhile, salaries are kept to a below industry average, benefits aren't nearly as good as many of Atmel's competitors, sick days are taken out of PTO, there are mandatory shutdown periods that also eat into PTO, and career progression opportunities are slim. Are you a manager at Atmel who wants to become a senior manager? or a director someday? Good luck! You will probably never get a significant promotion, no matter how well you work. You will also sit in a horribly depressing cube in the most lifeless, not fun office building you can ever imagine, where everyone just sits in silence staring at screens.

The upper management levels treat everyone beneath them as slightly unintelligent, unworthy peons. They are also snobby with self important attitudes and inflated perceptions of their own and Atmel's importance. The entire place stifles creativity. It is also highly political, and the backstabbing and maneuvering among the higher echelons is quite disgusting, even from a view way down here.

The CEO has no charisma at all, micromanages, and is only money orientated. Employees are not made to feel valued or good about themselves.

Filing expense reports in this company is a joke, and another example of how they treated us like children and didn't trust us. Also it sometimes takes 2 months for expenses to get reimbursed and nobody gets a company credit card, even if you travel a lot, so sometimes you have to put thousands of dollars on your personal card and wait and wait and wait for them to pay you back.

people leave all the time for better opportunities and still they don't get it.

HR got really worried last year when they found out they were rated so badly on Glassdoor, so they forced people to write some good reviews to fix some of the ratings.

I notice that HR comments on every glassdoor post now. Don't be fooled. This is probably someone's job at Atmel now, to pretend they are a good and responsive company, when in actual fact, the attitudes are exactly the same.

Advice to Management

Replace your entire HR team. They are awful. Completely political, micromanaging, controlling. Replace them with people who can actually start building a positive culture, and you may have a small start.

Atmel Response

Jun 24, 2014 – hr

As our CEO would say, the difference between a good company and a great company is its people. We believe that our people differentiate us from the competition, and we also relentlessly... More