Atmel - Interesting work but poorly managed | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Atmel

"Interesting work but poorly managed"

Former Employee - Design Engineer
Former Employee - Design Engineer

Pros

Most of my coworkers were fun to work with. It was nice working in a group that had both hardware and software engineers to see how a rea lproduct all fit together.

Cons

There was virtually no executive leadership or vision. My immediate management was just as frustrated by the lack of direction. Sales and marketing support was so bad that our engineering management basically had to sell our products on our own.

Advice to Management

Produce a clear vision of what you want to do and explain to engineers what you expect from them in terms of revenue targets in order to keep their jobs.

Other Employee Reviews for Atmel

"Not recommended. Taking a job here is a big gamble. You might like it, but you more than likely will hate it."

Pros

- Flexible work schedules. Several people arrive after 10:00 a.m. every day.

- Fun people (in certain departments). Sales, in particular, seems to have a fairly cool team of people pulled together.

- Occasionally the company's stock actually ticks upward, and with a 365-day average price of about 4 bucks, even a small bump means a fairly nice return on your ESPP investment.

- Not particularly demanding. Many people are completing the minimum amount of work possible to retain their jobs, and nobody seems to notice / care.

Cons

- Not particularly demanding. Assigned work is boring.

- There is absolutely no knowledge sharing whatesoever. The Company puts shockingly little emphasis on knowledge transfer. The learning curve is extremely protracted here, because it's like pulling teeth to get others to share what they know.

- No teambuilding events. Makes it hard to get to know others and build camaraderie.

- Second-tier talent pool. And yes, I realize I'm swimming in that pool too. What can I say? I made an error in judgment when I accepted this job offer. Learn from my mistake.

Advice to Management

I've heard speculation that part of the reason nothing ever seems to get better at Atmel is because management wants to sell Atmel and ride off into the sunset with a huge pile of cash. Perhaps. Regardless, the current culture is one of stagnation. Talented people don't put up with stagnant environments for long.

"MCU interview questions"

Pros

- Growing market share in MCU
    - Excellent Products
    - Well-established but still a startup like work culture
    - Enthusiastic

Cons

- Time to market
    - Not enough communication makes it difficult
    - Lack of resources makes everybody thinly spread and

Advice to Management

- Look slike there is a big initiative in hiring senior management like Directors, Executives but no rush in hiring the support teams for MCU and Touch application team