Au Pair in America - The experience overall teaches you how to learn living far from home and to be responsible for another human life | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Au Pair in America

"The experience overall teaches you how to learn living far from home and to be responsible for another human life"

Former Employee - Au Pair in New York, NY
Former Employee - Au Pair in New York, NY

I worked at Au Pair in America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- This experience opened my mind to other cultures, not just the american
- Teached me how to live with a different family with different rules and different habits.
- Increased my sense of responsibility since another human being was dependant on my work.
- Offered me the opportunity to assist to schools that normally would have being very costly to attend
- Gave me the chance to travel to many places and cities
- I have met very interesting people, made friends and learn from others situations

Cons

- It is very easy to get misunderstandings with your host family when you don´t have a good communication.
- It is practically a matter of "good luck" whether you get a nice family since you never know how things can turn out after a while with the family you chose to live with

Advice to Management

a way to avoid misunderstandings between the au pair and the family is to have a closer relation between the person responsible of the area with the au pairs to serve as conciliator between this two parties before misunderstandings arise.

Other Employee Reviews for Au Pair in America

"Terrible experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at Au Pair in America full-time

Pros

If you have a super super lucky to find a great family, will be nice

Cons

Au pair in america doesnt give any support when a rematch happens. If the family doesn want you anymore even in their home, you will stay with no place to live until you find a new family. Not all the counseors offer their homes to you to stay. The company will ALWAYS protect the family, as their pay more than the aupair to the companie. If you dont fit for the family or have all the habilities that they want, you will be rematch even if the family is the one that is guilty, that didnt explain clear to you, or if they didnt offer everything that they need to offer to you..

Advice to Management

Dont sell the program as a cultural program to the aupairs, but only as a WORK program because its not like he family see us. They see us and also YOU as a cheap labor.

2. "Awful"

I worked at Au Pair in America full-time

Pros

Ability to travel mostly during the travel month

Cons

1. Agency advertises this programme as a cultural exchange programme whereas Au pair is just a cheap labor in USA-that is how the host families see you and acts towards the Au pair. 2. Lack of rights, agency doesn't want rematch between Au pair and HF-HF looses money is left without childcare for 2 weeks. 3. Au pair might be easily abused having 195.75$ a week with no food or child food-look at the agreement there is no amount of money that the HF should spend on Au pair. There is nothing about the cellphone, Internet, paying for transportation so she could go travel. 4. Au pair is expected not to be in the HF house for weekends or is not welcomed even for a dinner.

Advice to Management

Get more interested about interaction and relation between HF and Au pair.