Austin Industries - Great Company! | Glassdoor

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

I can't imagine working for a better company than Austin. This company truly embodies the true spirit of employee owenership.

Cons

Senior Management have been here for years on end. It takes some time to get some upward movement within the company, but well worth the way.

Advice to Management

Speak more openly to the employees about plans for career growth - be honest & open about opportunities, or lack thereof.

Other Employee Reviews for Austin Industries

1. "Austin will be a great company for another 100 years"

Former Employee - Management in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Management in Dallas, TX

Pros

Austin is an ethical company in a tough industry. The never take short cuts or give their clients less than they pay for. Austin is employee owned which gives it a huge advantage over public companies. They don't have to chase performance every quarter and can actually make decisions based on what is best in the long run. They are an open shop which makes them more price competitive. They are able to retain their best people by shifting them to the various projects in backlog. The management team is very experienced and has lived through the bad times with grace and dignity.

Cons

The only down side of working for Austin was upward mobility. While it is a relatively large construction company, the corporate staff is pretty small so there aren't many positions in the first place. Given the significant tenure of the team it was hard to move up very far. There was nothing really wrong with that because the people above me were very compitent. I simply didn't see any upward mobility for many years to come and given that I was realatively early in my career (I worked there for 10 years between ages 20-29) I just reached a point where I needed to leave in order to grow.

Advice to Management

You guys are awesome, but watch out for succesion planning.

2. "Caring Stable Company"

Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Dallas, TX

Pros

The company has great benefits for people looking for a long term career with Austin. They also generally care about their employees. The management is great at Austin and have made the company successful in a bad economic time.

Cons

It is rather difficult to move up in the company in relativley short amounts of time. Some employees are fully recognized for a good job, the credit goes more to their supervisors and it doesn't always translate down.

Advice to Management

To try to give recognition to all levels of employees. Senior management is doing a great job and they just need to keep up the hard work during the bad economic time.