Austin Lane Technologies - Has potential, but not a good place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Austin Lane Technologies

"Has potential, but not a good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX

Pros

Nice office
Fun company events
Senior management is very dedicated
Very friendly employees, you'll make good friends.
Small company atmosphere and energy, opportunities for growth.

Cons

Management pressures you to work overtime on a regular basis.
Analyzes where you spend every 15 minutes.
Poor communication and lots of finger pointing.
Senior management doesn't take any responsibility.
High employee turnover in software development.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing your employees and start trusting them to do their best. Command and control style of management doesn't work well in software development.

Other Employee Reviews for Austin Lane Technologies

"Marketing Communications Specialist"

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Specialist in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Specialist in Denton, TX

I have been working at Austin Lane Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Such a friendly atmosphere! I just started working here but I can already tell I'm going to really enjoy it. Everyone is here to help you, and there's a total open door policy with upper management. Very hands on, but without micro-managing. Excellent starting salary for anyone coming out of college. Benefits and PTO are also great! Very much a part of a team here and it's a goal-oriented work environment, which is great for someone who wants to make an actual difference and who can work hard. Also a great work/life balance. Rarely have to stay past 5pm unless there is a deadline.

Cons

Faith-based/christian company, which I don't mind and they never try and push religious views on you, but just something to be aware of. Not a lot of room to advance in the company, but it is growing in employee numbers every year.

Advice to Management

They do such an amazing job being really hands on in their business and with their employees. Being able to talk openly and honestly with upper management is such a rare find, and these people have it!

"Good people, family type culture, outdated tech, low salary/benefits"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Denton, TX

I worked at Austin Lane Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Austin Lane is a small company so you will make good friends working there, if you're interested in learning multiple parts of a how a business practices this is a good place because you will wear several hats and be responsible for filling what would be several roles at a larger company.

After working there I truly believe the president of the company Austin really cares about his employees. However, most employees (regardless of how long they worked there) for some reason leave the company in bad standing and the company will bad mouth them once they are gone for one reason or another. When you put in your two weeks notice fully expect to be immediately lectured and walked out.

Annual reviews usually result in a pay raise (~5%) if you meet or exceed expectations. I've only heard of one employee ever not getting a raise in an annual review.

They will hire current students or employees without a college degree, this can be great for some people but not necessarily fair for those with more education/credentials because salaries are typically the same.

If the company were to check internet browsing history many employees would be in trouble because several employees have "flown under the radar" for years and have spent half of their time there on Reddit or YouTube. If you want a place that has consistency, learn the software and rarely be outside your comfort zone, and good work life balance this could be a great fit for you.

Most of the clients austin lane has are awesome and are very fond of the employees at austin lane. You'll make connections here.

I'm glad I spent so many years here because I learned a lot and grew as a professional, but I'd never come back due to lack of opportunities to advance.

Cons

A particular co-founder (not CEO) is notorious for not getting along with his subordinates and is directly responsible for some great people I worked with leaving the company. Introducing new software paradigms, frameworks, and practices common in the industry will be completely ignored and you may even be verbally targeted for bringing them up. He wants the company to operate using software practices 15 years outdated or ones created by himself. My advice for working here is to never challenge him, because regardless of how much useful knowledge you have you will not win because he's your boss (and he will pull that card).

You'll never know how much other companies pay austin lane for their software and services, and inquiring about other employees salaries or disclosing yours is "a fireable offense". I've never had a company preach to me that "money doesn't buy happiness" more than Austin Lane. One individual there I know is very high performing and loyal to the company and I believe they have unfairly underpaid her for years now with their hush-hush closed-door system.

If they ever find out you're applying for other jobs, they will either walk you out or give you the ultimatum to either stop or leave. Instead of treating their employees better so they want to stay they typically threaten them so they have to.

I'm pretty sure Austin Lane makes up job titles so their employees are less marketable in the industry and so they can justify paying them less. First of all, what exactly is an "ALMobile Mobility Specialist" or a "Software Team Supervisor". The first has literally zero transferability to any other relevant job at any company and the second sounds like a glorified babysitter or like the company is scared to offer anyone a position with "Manager" in the title.

One individual I worked with was offered full-time while in school and was told that the company would "work with his/her school schedule". This basically resulted in the company allowing the individual to take classes outside of a typical 8-5 work day, but to my understanding this individual didn't know this until after a job offer was formally accepted.

Advice to Management

Be open to new software practices and ideas, if you don't innovate in the world of software you won't continue to thrive.

Give employees stake in the company and your retention rates will skyrocket.

Time tracking makes employees feel micro managed, if you need employees to write down what they've done every 15 minutes a day to understand performance than you're not managing well.

Have less closed door meetings, employees love and respect transparency.