Author Solutions - Disappointing | Glassdoor

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

Pros

You gotta be aggressive. Environment is fast paced

Cons

Everything is done on the cheap. It is not a professional office setting and supplies along with things to get your job done are non-existent

Advice to Management

Develop some training programs and develop future leaders. Look longer term rather than for short term gains and be more forgiving with mistakes

Kevin was good, but cheap. Very smart man and extremely driven for success.

Other Employee Reviews for Author Solutions

"Awful First Job"

Former Employee - Promotions Coordinator In Author Marketing Services in Bloomington, IN

Pros

*Vacation time given is nice if you can stomach working there more than six months
    *Coworkers in the department were of similar age and place in life as me (recent college grads trying to get ahead and make a life for themselves)
    *Casual work atmosphere

Cons

*Insane workload with too few employees.
    *No training. The department was so understaffed my hiring group was thrown into the fray with little to no instruction.
    *Low pay
    *Mindless busy work for eight hours a day, and horrible clients (if I wanted to get yelled at by strangers for things I didn't do, I would have stayed in the restaurant industry)
    *Extremely disorganized. So many departments throw clients back and forth to so many different people it's no wonder they get so upset by the time they reach you.
    *Pretty soon this company will be completely run out of Cebu. After I quit, my position was sent overseas rather than filled in the states. The worst part is the company recently received a huge tax break from the state of Indiana for adding jobs to the community, and now they're outsourcing everything.
    *The products they offer and the promises they give their customers, many of whom are retired men and women spending a huge chunk of their savings to write and publish their books, are junk. No one buys them. They get almost no royalties. The dishonest business this place conducts made me sick to my stomach.

Advice to Management

No matter how much vacation you offer to your employees or how good the health insurance is, the horrible product you provide to your customers and the lack of guidance and support for employees is despicable. I know your first job out of college is never really supposed to be amazing, but working here was the worst six months of my life.

"Poorly run and slightly delusional"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bloomington, IN

Pros

It's cool to work with authors to get their works published. The company does occasionally have perks such as pizza lunches, but often that feels more like condescension than reward.

Cons

I was thrown in with no training. Everything I did, I picked up on the fly when I asked questions. As I spoke with more and more customers and took it up the ladder, I realized that the company did not have its customers' interests at heart.

The final blow was how they treat expansion. Make no mistake, Author Solutions is moving where the labor is cheap. Authors will soon be getting creative help from people who haven't heard of Alfred Hitchcock (true story). And the employees that get replaced? They get taken into a room and fired with no warning, no notice. The boxes to clear your desk are piled by the door, and these meetings include 10-20 people at a time. Worst business ever.

Advice to Management

Show some respect for your employees! If not to make the ones who get let go feel better, than for the ones who have to stay while constantly looking over their shoulder and getting worried that every "meeting" they get asked into will be their last. What you're doing is wrong.