Autism Speaks - Growing Pains? | Glassdoor

"Growing Pains?"

I have been working at Autism Speaks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Autism Speaks has incredible history in the community, and truly made "autism" a household conversation around the world. What Autism Speaks has done for awareness, research, treatment and advocacy worldwide is outstanding. Being a part of that mission, as well as having the opportunity to build relationships in the local community, is incredibly rewarding.

Cons

There are unfortunately many concerns I have as an employee. There is a great lack of communication from top NYC leadership down to the field, and this could come from too many (highly compensated) executive hands in the cookie jar. Field staff, who have some of the toughest responsibilities (i.e. fundraising for the mission of the organization) do not receive competitive pay and benefits for the workload and time required....

Advice to Management

Improve communication across all departments. Learn the markets - recognize that blanket efforts and strategy are poor branding choices. Give greater consideration to pay and benefits to remain competitive in the fast-paced world of non-profits. Every organization has growing pains, especially during times of transition. However, the turnover at Autism Speaks should be cause for deep concern.

Autism Speaks2016-12-05

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Autism Speaks for less than a year

Pros

the people, the cause, the hours

Cons

the pay for interns its only 400$

Autism Speaks2018-11-27
  2. "Not too bad, not too good"

Former Employee - Events Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Autism Speaks for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers and management could be friendly at times I got some experience in the field I want to go into

Cons

My supervisor was out of the office for most of my three month internship I was given three tasks over the course of three months I could not leave my desk for the entire day, the office was unbearably cold. I was sick all the time. I worked almost 300 hours and I made $400 off a stipend. This is an issue with most internships taking advantage of college students, but this was by far my most unfair wage.

Advice to Management

Have weekly meetings with your interns Make sure all of the interns are given the same amount of work and CREDIT Treat your interns better! Give them PAY not a stipend or a credit!

Autism Speaks2019-07-11

Discover more reviews about Autism Speaks.