Autism Speaks - don't even bother | Glassdoor

"don't even bother"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Autism Speaks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Close to transportation... Good location, that's it! Though food options in the area are not great. The medical benefits are not that bad actually.

Cons

It's a big mess. Don't do it. Everyone is confused, overpaid, exhausted, under-pressure (or threatened) and there's no real organization. Ask anyone. Besides that, no knows anyone in the office, people barely talk to each other, not even in the kitchen, there's no real "team" or "culture", even when you try hard. Everyone is in their own little hell. Lots of gossiping. Lots of internal struggles over donors' dollars...

Advice to Management

This is work, it's a non profit no less. Not a zoo. You can't be yelling around at your employees. You can't keep them engaged for what you pay or ask of us. You can't be moving people around based on your daily whims. HR is a joke if you report something. Disgraceful.

Autism Speaks2017-04-05

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Autism Speaks for less than a year

Pros

the people, the cause, the hours

Cons

the pay for interns its only 400$

Autism Speaks2018-11-27
  2. "Not too bad, not too good"

Former Employee - Events Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Autism Speaks for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers and management could be friendly at times I got some experience in the field I want to go into

Cons

My supervisor was out of the office for most of my three month internship I was given three tasks over the course of three months I could not leave my desk for the entire day, the office was unbearably cold. I was sick all the time. I worked almost 300 hours and I made $400 off a stipend. This is an issue with most internships taking advantage of college students, but this was by far my most unfair wage.

Advice to Management

Have weekly meetings with your interns Make sure all of the interns are given the same amount of work and CREDIT Treat your interns better! Give them PAY not a stipend or a credit!

Autism Speaks2019-07-11

Discover more reviews about Autism Speaks.