Autism Speaks - A mess | Glassdoor

"A mess"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Autism Speaks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nobody seems to care when nothing gets done or goes badly. Employees can bond over how disorganized and discombobulated the place is.

Cons

There is no reality of life-work balance. you're expected to work nights and weekends and then volunteer until you fall apart or quit, just like every one does. there's a huge turnover, EVEN at the executive level, which creates a lot of insecurity and instability. Everyone is walking in egg shells all the time. At every level. Seems like the top execs are changing directions all the time and the reflects down a lot....

Advice to Management

start listening to your employees because they talk to the volunteers and people you're supposed to serve. We usually spend hours/days cleaning up the messes the board makes in public. it's very frustrating and when people tell us they're now going to another autism charity we totally understand.

Autism Speaks2015-11-11

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Autism Speaks for less than a year

Pros

the people, the cause, the hours

Cons

the pay for interns its only 400$

Autism Speaks2018-11-27
  2. "Not too bad, not too good"

Former Employee - Events Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Autism Speaks for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers and management could be friendly at times I got some experience in the field I want to go into

Cons

My supervisor was out of the office for most of my three month internship I was given three tasks over the course of three months I could not leave my desk for the entire day, the office was unbearably cold. I was sick all the time. I worked almost 300 hours and I made $400 off a stipend. This is an issue with most internships taking advantage of college students, but this was by far my most unfair wage.

Advice to Management

Have weekly meetings with your interns Make sure all of the interns are given the same amount of work and CREDIT Treat your interns better! Give them PAY not a stipend or a credit!

Autism Speaks2019-07-11

Discover more reviews about Autism Speaks.