Autism Speaks - Just when you though AS hit bottom, it gets worse | Glassdoor

"Just when you though AS hit bottom, it gets worse"

I worked at Autism Speaks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with the families impacted by Autism and the few coworkers left who have children on the spectrum.

Cons

It's difficult to know where to start. There is a lot of heart in some staff but the top is all about themselves and hiring their unqualified friends for high positions. Leadership is from the for-profit world and they do not understand the mission or families they represent. Staff with a connection to Autism are not valued. The last 3 years have shown the organizations true colors. They pushed out or fired all...

Advice to Management

Too many consultants! Stop hiring your friends that get a lot of money to complicate processes for their own job security. The New York and New Jersey offices have the worst of the worst leadership. Please change the way this organization operates before its too late to turn it around and actually help those you claim to represent. It's apparent to staff and supporters that you know nothing of autism!

Autism Speaks2016-01-23

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Autism Speaks for less than a year

Pros

the people, the cause, the hours

Cons

the pay for interns its only 400$

Autism Speaks2018-11-27
  2. "Not too bad, not too good"

Former Employee - Events Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Autism Speaks for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers and management could be friendly at times I got some experience in the field I want to go into

Cons

My supervisor was out of the office for most of my three month internship I was given three tasks over the course of three months I could not leave my desk for the entire day, the office was unbearably cold. I was sick all the time. I worked almost 300 hours and I made $400 off a stipend. This is an issue with most internships taking advantage of college students, but this was by far my most unfair wage.

Advice to Management

Have weekly meetings with your interns Make sure all of the interns are given the same amount of work and CREDIT Treat your interns better! Give them PAY not a stipend or a credit!

Autism Speaks2019-07-11

Discover more reviews about Autism Speaks.