Auto-Owners Insurance - Great people and lots of applicable experience | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Auto-Owners Insurance

"Great people and lots of applicable experience"

Former Intern - Underwriting Intern
Former Intern - Underwriting Intern

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great management and co-workers and very flexible hours (work around your school schedule). The position involves all of the responsibilities and duties that a staff underwriter would have. This is a old-fashioned company (in a good way). They have traditional retirement plans and great benefits. If you get offered a job at this company, you will not be laid off.

Cons

Repetitive nature of the job. This office is also relatively small, so it is likely a promotion would mean moving out of state.

Advice to Management

Offer more training on quoting system and other applications.

Other Employee Reviews for Auto-Owners Insurance

"Super Outstanding "NOT""

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance (More than 10 years)

Pros

They are a Fourten 500 company

Cons

Over promise and under deliver. They never tell you the real truth only able to see it if you read about it in the news. Very dishonnest on how the company is growing and if there are any leads to advancement in your career. If you are a mommy that only needs this job for a little extra cash, then this is the company to work for.

Advice to Management

Look to your staff and take notes. Remember you only stay on top if you are a team player.

"Friends don't let friends work at A-O; Underwriting Position"

Current Employee - Commercial Underwriter
    Current Employee - Commercial Underwriter

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time

Pros

Good benefits, decent starting pay ( if fresh out of college), Xmas bonus and Incentive Bonus. Wasn't aware there was a restructuring of the Incentive Bonus until reading other reviews, but it's still a nice perk. Good experience for learning the industry. Free continuing education program - you can get your CPCU ( essentially a master's degree for insurance) for free. The Home Office training schools are nice too. You're treated very well.

Cons

No vacation or sick-time provided when you first start. You accrue this time monthly. After you put some years in though it is nice. Archaic management practices, and they talk out of both sides of their mouth. They'll harp that we need to be very careful, and thorough in our Underwriting, but then are upset when our 'numbers' don't look good. You can't win. The way to have solid underwriting, and good numbers?! More staffing. The way to keep your current employees so the new staff can be trained adequately? Pay in line with other insurance companies. A lot of good, and experienced people quit due to pay. Most companies will pay $10,000-$15,000 more a year if you have Underwriting experience going in. And the raise structure at A-O is a joke. You can work your tail off over a years time, bring in big accounts, etc.etc, have a great yearly review, and still end up with only a 2% raise (as opposed to the 3% maximum). You're left thinking, I worked that hard, and for what? I'm not being paid what I am worth. A raise is better than no raise, but it doesn't keep it from being awful. There is a lot of lip-service from management on potential promotions to a different position, but it never happens. I think this is a management tactic to try and get you to stay with them longer. Un-paid 'extra' time is expected, but when we are already under paid there is no motivation to do it. AO technically only makes you work 37.5 hours a week because we have an hour lunch. Which is nice. And that could be part of their reasoning for paying less. But here is a novel idea: If you want more production out of us require a 40 hour work week. 8am-5pm. 2.5 more hours for each employee. We'd have to be paid more, but it's not like the company can't afford it. If someone in management doesn't like you personally, you're not getting promoted. Regardless of performance. But If a certain boss really likes an employee, they can't be touched, even if they royally suck at their job and have been requested by other employees to be fired. Men have to wear tie everyday. It's more like a noose, and a reminder that you work for 'the man' everyday. Evidently wearing a tie helps you underwrite better, and have good numbers. Who knew? We are paid less than most other industry underwriters, yet are forced to pay for dressing as if we are the highest paid...? Makes total sense!

Advice to Management

- $5,000 to $7500 pay increases for Underwriters ( this is more than fair, and still in favor of the people running the show, we are worth more).
    - Business casual dress if we work in the office. We don't need to look like the Marketing people while we sit at our cubes and answer phones all day. Nobody cares about us wearing our shirt and ties. Completely over-rated, expensive, and unnecessary.
    - More staffing
    - Higher raise potential. Increase to 7% maximum instead of 3%.
    - Re-structure sick and vacation days offered to starting employees
    - Quit getting people's hopes up about promotions. It's not helping. You're lying. After a while we see through the B.S.. Isn't HONESTY the number 1 core value?
    - Fire low performing Underwriters. It ends up creating more work for everyone else when you keep them on your staff.
    - Oh, and the MUSAC sucks. Get a new music provider.