AutoNation - A cynical culture driven by greed and stock price | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AutoNation

"A cynical culture driven by greed and stock price"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Florida, FL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Florida, FL

I worked at AutoNation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My coworkers were good people, and we all shared the same feelings of hopelessness, which, strangely enough, made us feel better knowing we were not alone. The hours can be long but the schedules are somewhat flexible.Once you have experience, other dealer groups, most of which consider autonation a joke, will gladly hire you and generally pay more with better hours.

Cons

Yearly pay cuts, although management will smile at you when they call it a "new pay plan." 5+ years without a pay raise, but the executives got theirs last year, of course. Penny smart and dollar stupid, they watch every penny for expenses while hundreds of dollars a day are given away to unhappy customers. There seems to be a concerted effort to get rid of the old-timers and replace all of us with kids who are desperate to work for $12/hr. See note about unhappy customers-directly related to the new, inexperienced, and of course cheap new hires. Constant turnover in staffing, nobody cares, even the store management have given up chasing the corporate carrot. Total lack of follow up with HR when issues are brought to their attention. Low morale, few chances to advance unless you know someone up top.

Advice to Management

Come down to reality. Reality isn't the $50,000 per person republican fundraiser dinner at our COO's house, well, at least not for most of your employees. You'd see a better return on your money if you invested more in your income producing employees, not middle management bean counters. Embrace the concept of a pay raise. Happy employees make happy customers, such a basic concept totally ignored by the corporate hatchet men who work there. Your company is not growing. If the employees are not growing, then your company never will.

Other Employee Reviews for AutoNation

1. "It's exciting to be part of AutoNation "Coast to Coast!""

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Truly the leader in automotive retail. Mike Jackson and Mike Maroone are inspirational leaders who clearly have a vision for the company based on creating an exceptional customer experience. I am very exciting about the national launch of the AutoNation brand - it is our chance to really show customers the value of doing business with us.

Cons

I would like to see innovative technology faster...tablets....

Advice to Management

Keep focused on creating an exceptional customer experience... our customers don't expect it, so it's a big win!

2. "caring, responsive, and professional"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Tustin, CA

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

not your normal automotive retail job, this company delivers with a level of professionalism and ethic that is too rare in the auto industry, I came on board with experiance above the position I was hired for and after 90 days of hard work I was promoted to my preferred position. The oppotunities with this organization are limited only by you. Great place to work!

Cons

tough to get in, the screening process is very comprehensive, be patient is is worth the effort

Advice to Management

keep growing this company, a lot of good car people desevre this level of professionalism