AutoZone - Rapid promotions when you're competent. | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for AutoZone

"Rapid promotions when you're competent."

Current Employee - Commercial Sales Manager in Inverness, FL
Current Employee - Commercial Sales Manager in Inverness, FL

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can move up fairly fast when you have a positive mindset. If you are experienced as an automotive technician, like I was, my experience became very valuable to the company and their interest in keeping me showed.

Cons

If you are not a Commercial employee you better expect to work all kinds of different shifts with very little consistency in your schedule. The pressure placed on DIY to sell "check out challenge" and related repair parts is excessive. The district manager will be on the phone with the store manager every single day the reports of grease packs not sold with batteries or air filters not sold with oil changes to a poor stance compared to other stores. Then of course the store manager comes down on all the rest of the employees with an iron fist. All because we didn't sell enough $1.39 battery terminal grease packs with that $115 dollar battery.

Advice to Management

Chill out a bit with the witt and check out challenge requirements. Or give an incentive for the the level of grief you give for this stuff. If its so important to the company there needs to be more incentive, not just the incentive of not getting in trouble.

Other Employee Reviews for AutoZone

"Good company, bad culture"

Former Employee - IT in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - IT in Memphis, TN

I worked at AutoZone full-time

Pros

AutoZone will continue to grow and make tons of money. If you are bonus and stock option eligible, this is great. There is opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Wearing store uniforms on Mondays and other days. Company cheer. As you might expect from a car parts store, middle-management is full of good-ole-boys who manage by bullying instead of professional skills. AZ makes lots of money by not spending it, so don't expect modern equipment, benefits, or any perks.

Advice to Management

Professionals like to be treated like professionals instead of overpaid store employees.

2. "I enjoyed my time at AutoZone, but it has its flaws."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Knoxville, TN

I worked at AutoZone part-time (More than a year)

Pros

20% Discount on almost everything in the store
    Flexible Scheduling
    Great way to start learning about cars
    Staff was very helpful when answers to questions were needed.

Cons

I was worked like a horse.
    You are required to work days and nights.
    Employees are hired with absolutely zero automotive experience.

Advice to Management

If you say you're going to promote, stick to it. I got tired of getting the run around.