AutoZone - We need more employees. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AutoZone

"We need more employees."

Current Employee - Commercial Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Commercial Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

We get good benefits and discounts. It is a nice feeling to help somebody with their car. My coworkers are great people and it's a pretty easy job overall.

Cons

It takes too long to get a new employee hired. Management is incredibly picky about who they hire. They want qualified applicants with experience, but they want to pay them just above minimum wage and give them 25 hours a week. A lot of pressure to sell additional items to customers but little incentive to do so. It feels like to move up in the company you have to put AutoZone before your family.

Advice to Management

Either lower your standards for hiring, or increase the amount you are going to pay a qualified employee. Quit letting good employees get away because you're too cheap to make somebody full time.

Other Employee Reviews for AutoZone

"The AutoZone Life: Red Shirt"

Current Employee - Auto Parts Sales in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Auto Parts Sales in Katy, TX

I have been working at AutoZone part-time (More than a year)

Pros

20% employee discount on some items, the company gives us an extra 15 minutes to get to work without receiving a point if you don't arrive exactly on time, there's always something new to learn, working there can be a lot of fun if you have the right staff, and during the weekends (sometimes) , the store receives extra hours and a manager may call you to see if you'd like to work for those extra hours. Discounts with T-Mobile services, mortgage, car insurance, etc.

Cons

Part time workers do not receive a paid vacation even if you've been with the company for a long time, benefits aren't that great, especially since they take so much out of your paycheck, rude customers, horrible training (they basically throw you out there for you to learn on your own), the company offers free services: read codes if a vehicle has a check engine light on, battery, starter, and alternator testing, battery, bulbs, and wiper blades (depends on vehicle) installment. We aren't getting paid extra to do these services! We are required to sell with no commission, we all clean our restrooms, mop, sweep and stock our own merchandise. Work schedule is always changing, it is never constant and hours being received are often increasing or decreasing.

Advice to Management

Store managers: I remember when I first got hired I was extremely scared of being on the floor with no proper training what's so ever. If you would please take the time to explain to the new employees how the system works, for example: wittdtjr, to always scan reward card even if it isn't over the $20 so we can still get the amount of percentages we need to meet our goal, to use credit or debit card on the computers instead of using the cash register, to always be friendly on the phone and put as many parts on hold as possible, always order from the HUB or VDP to increase our percentages. Guide or teach the new employees how to properly scan a vehicle before making the decision on installing batteries, bulbs and wiper blades and of course teach them how to install these items as well. And one more thing, on item of the month, I've seen a lot of you (store managers) not even trying to sell those things and expect everyone else to sell, we aren't receiving bonuses (nothing at all in that matter) by selling those items, you are, so please, try and sell as well. Train your team, motivate them, without team work, there will be no success.

"Corporate owned sweat shop"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative, PSM, Commercial Driver in Ottawa, KS

I worked at AutoZone full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pretty good selection of merchandise

Cons

Poor pay, poor upper management, ran like paramilitary.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees (even the little red shirts) like humans, give them decent pay and you may be pleasantly surprised what kind of work and respect they may turn out.