AutoZone - Hard work pays off but there are long hours and too much politics in upper management. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AutoZone

"Hard work pays off but there are long hours and too much politics in upper management."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Tucson, AZ
Current Employee - Store Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Consistency, and job security, the company is growing and there is always work to be done.

Cons

Our company values are to go above and beyond for our customers. However lately with the downturn in the economy we have been slashing hours and not hiring to fill positions putting too high a burden on those striving to provide the customer experience we aim for as a company.

Advice to Management

Maybe give up double digit increases in profitability to keep the services available that make the sales, with the payroll cuts we are sinking to our competitions level not innovating, bringing new business in and seem to be losing some of our edge.

Other Employee Reviews for AutoZone

"PSM, Store manager, Commercial Spec"

Former Employee - PSM, Store Manager, Commercial Spec in Freeport, IL
    Former Employee - PSM, Store Manager, Commercial Spec in Freeport, IL

I worked at AutoZone full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None only go there if you need a job to carry you over to find another. The turn over is great since employees leave so often. I've seen some resign buy texting the manager. Some went to lunch never to return.

Cons

1) none Terrible place to work. First started as a PSM. Was with in two weeks being told by the DM to learn the ropes as Store Managers Don't last long get prepared to be one. He was already undercutting the Store manager with in two weeks, In 11 months of being there he fired the Store Manager and gave me the position without any training.
    2) very very micromanaged expect as Manager too receive a call every 2 hours even on your off time at home for "numbers" Sales, the # of those small packets of grease they force on customers and checkout challenge usually fuel injector cleaner to run up the ticket price plus reward cards.
    3) store is under staffed and not enough time to finnish those tasks. Staff on slow days are told to go home early to cut payroll. Usually after staff left store would get busy and customers walk out.
    4) either you were favored by the DM and upper management which had nothing to do with job performance,
    5) AZ will never be a "big" player as the want to be in commercial as the rules change daily making commercial customers go to other places..
    6) could walk in one day and be fired for really no reason. I as store manager was called a number of time's to fire an employee just because the DM did not like that person. The employee sometime were some of my best employees. The DM would have you "setup" an employee and instruct you how to do it. Such as look like they stole money to get rid of that person.
    7) I if an opening was at the store would interview 3 people. They employee the DM would let you hire was not the best candidate but rather the lowest bidder.
    8) only way to stay with the company is to do unethical thing's.
    9) long hours as a Store Manager paid well but when your there 70-80 hours a week comes out to apx $11.50 an hour.
    10) everything is tracked. A conference call every Monday to belittle the other manager's. I was highest in most areas so my Monday Conference call's were not that bad.
    11) I had to step down to Commercial Spec, per advice of my doctor as the 3 years I was manager I aged 20 years from stress and was always very healthy started having very serious health issues caused by stress.
    12) Company want's you to think it's "your" store. It's not as it's micromanaged by the DM. The company is now under a class action suit from current and former managers for that reason.

Advice to Management

If you want to save payroll fire the Store managers as the DM's run the store anyway. Stop forcing customers who are ready to checkout try to sell them packets of grease, fuel injector cleaner, ask for a rewards card and plus during Christmas ask if they want to donate to a charity. The only way to make it is to fudge the number and hope loss prevention let's you alone. The only training I got from AZ was advice from other managers how to beat there system.

"Interesting experience"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in Memphis, TN

I worked at AutoZone part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great for getting customer service and auto experience

Cons

Pay is crappy, hours vary wildly, HR is not helpful