Autodesk - Autodesk, not perfect but still great place to work! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Autodesk

"Autodesk, not perfect but still great place to work!"

Current Employee - Database Administrator in San Rafael, CA
Current Employee - Database Administrator in San Rafael, CA

Pros

Autodesk is a great place to work simply because of the people. Folks here are very passionate about their job and it shows in meetings and discussions throughout the day. There's also been a lot of improvement over the past couple years with regards to insight into things that are occurring at the senior management level. This help a lot with eliminating many of the rumors we'd otherwise have and definitely gives us (individual employees) a feeling that our voices are heard and we are indeed part of this organization.

Cons

No company is perfect, and Autodesk is no exception. One of the big downfalls of a global company with various divisions is that after a while you begin to feel like you're working with multiple companies inside your company. By that I mean, it's very easy to get lost in your own division (say IT) and completely lose insight and awareness of things going on in other divisions of the company. Sometimes things that go on in Product Development I hear first from outside the company than within. I don't believe the walls are up intentionally but more so just as a custom.

Advice to Management

Please continue to work on breaking down the silos and improve communication and visibility across divisions.

Other Employee Reviews for Autodesk

"Great company, smart people, becoming less exciting."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

Pros

Interesting products, always great to work for a market leader with cash in the bank. Some very smart people with some great ideas.

Cons

Every year there seems to be less innovation and less willingness to take risks. I have strong concerns that we are too content as the market leaders, and that our lack of innovation will allow us to be overtaken by smaller, hungrier competitors. We try to buy innovation through acquisition of smaller companies, but this strategy does not seem to work.

Working in the main corporate office you have to work alongside a lot of people who have been there for a very long time (15+ years) who think that they own the company. It's hard to drive change with these people.

Advice to Management

Take some risks or risk becoming irrelevant. We can't live forever on AutoCAD.

"Good benefits and location but very weak management and limited growth opportunities"

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Rafael, CA

Pros

The benefits package and location if you live in the North Bay Area are the best reasons to work at Autodesk. This is the only software company close to San Francisco north of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Vacation time-sabattical, 401-K matching, healthcare benefits, training, ESPP, and generally a lot of decent people working there are other good reasons.

Cons

The downside to working at Autodesk is pretty much known by all who work there. Management is very weak or out of control because they are not held accountable by HR or upper management and C level.

Autodesk swings too radically between being overly consensus oriented (70%) on decision making or overly aggressive with out-of-control power hungry managers (20%). Lets' give the remaining 10% to managers that belong elsewhere.

Consensus oriented = decisions are never firm if exists at all because no one either is confident enough to make a decision or no one knows whose responsibility it belongs to
    Agressive managers = those who run their own empire like a dictator and can get away with just about anything

It seems you get one or the other when it comes to where you land within Autodesk. There are some good managers at Autodesk but few. The good managers are over looked for the aggressive, or complacent-consensus oriented when it comes time to promotions.

Lastly, it seems Autodesk is infatuated like many other companies at hiring from outside instead of providing more opportunities within. If you want to get promoted at Autodesk, the best way is either leave the company and come back (a famous tradition at Autodesk) or move to another division within Autodesk. The grass really is greener on the other side applies here.

Advice to Management

Focus on accountability, carry through on programs and projects.

There are too many managers at the director, senior, and VP levels that have been around too long and are seen by most beneath them as dead weight. These senior level managers and VPs often are decent visionaries but do not know how to execute and get rewarded for pretty awful performance. This creates this attitude of reward for poor performance in their ranks all the way down the ladder.

Set the bar much higher!