Autodesk - Short-sighted senior management lets dysfunctions continue | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Autodesk

"Short-sighted senior management lets dysfunctions continue"

I worked at Autodesk full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with.
Love the benefits and PTO policies including sabbaticals and Week of Rest
Great products and customers
Most of time I was there, I had great managers who sincerely worked with me as a professional and with concern for my career

Cons

The main thing here is the lack of leadership. So many of the people at the top of the company are old cronies and they let each other slide. The newer senior managers, such as the the CFO, bring a level of professionalism to their teams that the others often lack. This is the core issue behind all the reorgs and other tumult that others have written about here. The real problem they need to face is that they need to get a good portion of the exec staff and some of the others OUT and bring in people who will create an environment that requires the exec staff to make changes in both channel and customer programs that reflect how business is done today. Some incompetent people pretty high up (Directors & above) are kept on by their cronies while dedicated, hard working people are jerked around by changes in strategy.

Other Employee Reviews for Autodesk

"Innovative company, striving to offer innovative products to help change the world for the better"

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My co-workers are great - smart, always willing to help out no matter how busy they are. Great work/life balance and competitive salary and benefits. Great offices. They seem to care about employee satisfaction.

Cons

CONSTANT change - expect a new manager and change in role at least once a year. In my opinion, they don't give programs or initiatives enough time to gain traction before changing again. Middle managers need training. They are people who were good at their jobs and promoted without any training whatsoever. It's not the managers' fault, but the quality is all over the place.

Advice to Management

Provide consistent management training for anyone who manages other employees.

"It was pretty good at times, it was the worst at times."

I worked at Autodesk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, including a sabbatical every 4 years (you'll need it!). Flexible work hours and work from home policies. Reasonable compensation and a good ESPP program.

Cons

Frequent re-orgs mean an endless rotating cast of managers, a few were pretty good - but the recent ones were the very worst managers I have ever encountered. Be careful of ending up on the wrong team. Management by intimidation is tolerated, and quite often the ability to talk a good game is valued over the ability to do good work. Extremely political and you will end up on the losing side if you don't play the game. Definitely an old boys club.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at your mid-level managers and ask yourself if they really have the ability to grow and manage teams. Reconsider the "paperless" review system - no paper trail means managers are free to throw their people under the bus to save their own skins when necessary.