Autry Museum of the American West - Wonderful people | Glassdoor

"Wonderful people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Wonderful people & strong collection

Cons

Culture is slow moving and resistant to improvement

Other Employee Reviews for Autry Museum of the American West

"The worst job I've had in 25 years...was better treated in retail & fast food service."

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

A free museum membership, gift store and restaurant discount to all employees. The on-site restaurant is superior.

Cons

Low pay. No opportunity for advancement. No communication with upper level staff members. The Human Resources department is the worst ever! I am a seasoned employee with over 20 years of office and fundraising experience. The best they could pay me was $14.hr. After one year of busting my ass I received a 2% raise. Yes, folks that is .25/hour. The top level managers receive $150,000 - $250,000/year but my part-time job only paid 1/10th of that. Plus, no benefits. If they sent the FT staff home early for holidays they thought they were heros; but to the PT and Hourly staff that meant our paychecks were cut.

Advice to Management

Consider ALL Employees when making decisions like raises, holiday office closings and bonuses. Just because someone is PT or Hourly does not mean they should be treated like a second class citizen. A 2% across the board salary increase means $3K or $5K annually to you; but only .25/hour to a PT or Hourly employee. Just because the economy sucks does not mean you can take advantage of your employees and give them low wages; and tell them they should be happy to have a job. This is why I left. This is why I saw employees dropping like flies when I worked there.

2. "Communications and Marketing Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Autry Museum of the American West as an intern

Pros

- Great upper management
    - Flexible times
    - An amazing learning experience!

Cons

- Not too much room to explore outside of given assignments