AvMed - People are nice to your face, but... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AvMed

"People are nice to your face, but..."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Gainesville, FL
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Gainesville, FL

Pros

Gets you in the health care career field door.
Great pay rate when you are first hired.
Your co-workers are nice
You learn a lot about health insurance.
Great for people who do not want to go to college

Cons

AvMed's customer service department is very understaffed and overworked. AvMed has a high turn-over rate due to the fact that the employees are treated as tools and over worked. If a new training class of 5 people is hired, then in about 3 months half of the people would leave. Most people will just leave without any warning. The middle and upper management just have a high school education, and do not realize the importance of a college eduation. Your manager does not really want to work with you, and pretends to care when she does not. All of the managers do not get along with each other, and they tend to gossip about other employees and other managers. AvMed wants their employees to work hard, nights, weekends, but is not willing to let people off for vacation due to the fact of understaffing. AvMed will promote that they will help the employees who want to move up in management, but if the "inner circle of people" do not like you will not get promoted. Avmed'scall center management would rather hire people who they like vs people who can do the job. Working for a health care insurance company you would expect that that the employee gets great medical coverage, well the medical coverage is not great, but I guess it is better then having nothing. The calls are graded on what you could have done better vs how you actually handled the call, so for an employee trying to do well, this makes it hard to get a good adverage because if you forget to offer to give a provider directory or the website, you will lose 10 points. Also, there is no consistant way on how every call is evaluated, and the managers will say that there is, but in all actuallity it depends on how the evaluator feels while listening to your call. AvMed wants to be at the top like other insurance companies like BCBS, but the fact of the manner is that AvMed is a small company, and they need to hire more people to help out the staff that is already there. Avmed also promotes that they really care about their employees, but after the smoke clears you will really see how much AvMed really "cares" about their employees. Go in with caution, great pay, but there is a reason on why they pay this well. Good for students or for people who need money, just expect to last there no more than 2 years. You can last there longer but if the management does not like you, they will find a reason to fire you.

Other Employee Reviews for AvMed

"AvMed Health Plans."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Pros

The people I have met while working here are pleasant and, I believe, truly want the organization to grow and prosper. Everyone seems to care about the welfare of others.

Cons

I feel as though I am on a ship without a captain. There is no corporate communication of goals or direction. Communications are sent from the Central plan office to clients without the knowledge of account managers, which allows for quite a bit of "blind siding". I have never worked for a company that is this dysfunctional. I feel as though I am surrounded by misfits. No training is provided so you had better know what you are doing before you start. Most of my peers are not willing to share any of their knowledge for fear that you may be looked upon more favorably than they. It's just a weird place. I hate to dog it like this, but anyone thinking about a career here may want to think twice before coming on board. Pay is minimal, performance is not rewarded.

Advice to Management

Take pride in your employees. Train them so they can grow into a truly knowledgeable workforce. You are becoming a company of mental midgets. Invest in systems infrastructure and get rid of the pieced together garbage you are currently using. Our customers are demanding it and we had better start delivering. Stop wasting your money on "leadership conferences". They are not working. Demand more of your middle managers regarding operational issues, which do not get resolved. Bring in some new blood and get rid of the dead wood.

2. "HEDIS"

Pros

Great company great management team

Cons

None they are all very nice

Advice to Management

They are so nice none needed