KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Former Employee, more than 3 years

Lost Its Way

Feb 9, 2018 -  in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free beer, nice offices, a few really great people. The best "pro" is that I no longer work there. I am actually grateful that things were so deeply dysfunctional and intolerable because it ultimately motivated me to find a new job with higher compensation in a company that offers better working conditions, potential for growth and superior benefits. I bless every day since I have left, and grateful that I had the sense to leave before hopelessness and malaise overwhelmed me.

Cons

Too many to name. Management clearly views employees as disposable commodities, despite the measurable and significant contributions made by numerous talented employees. Most of the highly skilled, committed and mission-focused employees have left. I have personally witnessed dedicated employees treated with indifference, disrespect or disdain simply dependent upon the changing whims of newly hired upper management. Management is exclusively focused on self preservation and the potential realization of personal financial or professional gain. One might surmise that inauthentic or manufactured reviews are posted in order to bolster the ratings and artificially offset what is clearly a downward trend. There are certain VPs/SVPs who are nothing short of mean spirted, malicious, egotistical, grasping and avaricious. Just look for the departments with the revolving door of employees who have taken their expertise elsewhere and left a gaping hole. The company has lost its way and the culture has devolved dramatically. It's rather sad, especially if you had witnessed the company at its peak, when there was a sense of shared mission and delight in the boldness of this new venture. We were almost giddy with the possibilities before us, and eager to tackle every challenge. That feeling is entirely gone.

Continue reading
    20 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work

Oct 3, 2022 - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting problems Good management support

Cons

Lots of iteration to get products built and deployed

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company with a great service

Oct 3, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Management is good. Good culture Offices are nice and fun events

Cons

Growing company comes with basic sales pain. Changing rules or pay (often for the better I must say). But not good for someone who can't adjust quickly.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

Avalara Response

Sr. Manager, Community Strategy

Thank you for sharing about your experience working at Avalara. We appreciate your feedback.

Discover more reviews about Avalara.

Avalara Careers

Cover image for Avalara

Avalara is the technology company that everyone’s used but nobody’s heard of. We’re at your gas pump, in your browser, and at...More

• Careers
  • Engineering
  • Avalara Global

Avalara Photos

+ Add Photo
Avalara photo of: Avalara executives and event emcee at Connect 2022.
Avalara photo of: Avalarians celebrate PRIDE at an event organized by the PRISM employee resource group
Avalara photo of: Employees enjoy a hot dog BBQ sponsored by Veterans of Avalara
Avalara photo of: Grace Hopper Celebration attendees in Orlando, Florida
Avalara photo of: AfroTech World attendees pause for a photo at the Avalara booth
Avalara photo of: Customer Success team works on cases during the Bug Bash
Avalara photo of: Teams meet on the steps in our Durham office.

Avalara Job Seekers Also Viewed