KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Former Employee

Not for everyone

Jan 9, 2015 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

A handful of awesome, hardworking people that make the craziness bearable. The product, truly one of the best products on the market currently. The clients, who are an interesting and diverse group of people.

Cons

Working at Avalara is like being in an abusive relationship. Some departments are better than others depending on who is managing and some people handle the stress better than others, but overall, a challenging place to work. Nepotism runs rampant, and is fine if the employees are hard workers and pull their weight, but too often others have to pick up the slack and correct repeated and frustrating errors (seriously a few people are moved from area to area because they have failed spectacularly but because they have some sort of pull with a VP, they are never fired, nor can you criticize them). Overt sexism. Working here is not for the faint of heart. High employee churn occurs because management considered workers to be disposable and condones toxic management styles. Online reviews are followed closely and employees (especially new ones) are "encouraged" to cover bad reviews by posting lots of "good" reviews.

Continue reading
    21 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work for!

Sep 13, 2022 - Sales Development Representative (SDR)
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Inclusive, Kind, Involved, Expanding, Growth

Cons

-There aren't many cons, you make it what it is!

Be the first to find this review helpful

Avalara Response

Sr. Manager, Community Strategy

Thank you for sharing your perspective on AvaCulture!

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Don't work for the 'Corporate Experience' Team

Jul 24, 2022 - Program Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company is high growth so its always evolving, positions getting added all the time. GREAT people, I met the best people on other teams from my own networking. Decent pay, good/average daily culture depending on your team.

Cons

The CE team have the most toxic mangers I've ever experienced. Felt like I was back in the sorority in college. They DO NOT care about you. Both are fake, spread rumors about you and will throw you under the bus in a moments notice. They ONLY want 'yes' people, so your actual opinion better match theirs. Don't have a personal life during the week, as it will intrude in the unnecessary last minute requests that come to you. It takes weeks and months to get basic things done, as the Director doesn't respond to email unless it's important to her. They will take the credit of your work when done well, or talk down to you and belittle you if not done perfectly. I was honestly told "we do not have room for mistakes on this team" when I asked about authenticity and psychological safety during meetings... They like to give out tasks one at a time, so a 'project management' background is an absolute joke. Hierarchy is very important to them, they MUST feel bigger, better and smarter than you. Be very careful in considering a role on this team!!

Continue reading
    6 people found this review helpful

Avalara Response

Sr. Manager, Community Strategy

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and bring it to our attention. Avalara is committed to having people managers who support, engage, and develop the Avalarians on their teams, so your feedback is concerning. We’d like to learn more about what you’ve observed so that we can continue to improve, please contact avalisten@avalara.com to follow up.

Discover more reviews about Avalara.

Avalara Careers

Cover image for Avalara

Avalara is the technology company that everyone’s used but nobody’s heard of. We’re at your gas pump, in your browser, and at...More

• Careers
  • Engineering
  • Avalara Global

Avalara Photos

+ Add Photo
Avalara photo of: Avalara executives and event emcee at Connect 2022.
Avalara photo of: Avalarians celebrate PRIDE at an event organized by the PRISM employee resource group
Avalara photo of: Employees enjoy a hot dog BBQ sponsored by Veterans of Avalara
Avalara photo of: Grace Hopper Celebration attendees in Orlando, Florida
Avalara photo of: AfroTech World attendees pause for a photo at the Avalara booth
Avalara photo of: Customer Success team works on cases during the Bug Bash
Avalara photo of: Teams meet on the steps in our Durham office.

Avalara Job Seekers Also Viewed